David is a Dispute Resolution Partner and head of the Immigration Group (Ireland). He is recognised nationally and internationally as one of Ireland’s foremost immigration law specialists.
David’s expertise in commercial litigation encompasses environmental law, anti-trust, business tort litigation, corporate law and shareholder actions, IP and IT litigation. He has worked extensively with leisure, life science and shipping companies and also financial institutions.
David’s team blends creativity and business pragmatism to solve their clients’ Irish immigration and mobility challenges. With efficient case management and a depth of knowledge, David’s team assist clients with inbound Irish immigration issues including employment permits, entry visas and business travel.
Recent Experience includes advising:
- David is the lead partner in the defence of a billion Euro professional negligence action brought by the Administrators of Quinn Insurance Limited – the largest claim of its type to ever come before the Irish Courts. It is anticipated to involve the largest ever e-discovery exercises in Irish litigation
- Susquehanna International Group on two connected sets of proceedings
- Bank of Ireland in a high profile contentious facility related proceeding
Representative Clients include: PwC ROI, EY, ROI, Susquehanna, Geodis, Bank of Ireland, Live Nation, a number of high profile software developers.
"David provides immigration support to major multinational employers in Ireland."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
"David is an experienced practitioner in professional negligence and commercial disputes."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
"David is recommended as a 'Key Lawyer.'"
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022-2023
"David Cantrell is a key name in professional negligence."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
"David is hugely experienced in insurance disputes, notably professional negligence and commercial cases...also an expert in immigration law."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“David has a particular specialism in immigration law…one of the standout partners that I work with…brings a strategic perspective coupled with a comprehensive grasp of details. He has strong technical knowledge and use this to ensure that the focus is on the most critical issues.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“David is very approachable and calm. He thinks through and sticks with our agreed strategy despite the many moving elements.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
- David has contributed to immigration law publications and conferences to include European Immigration Law, Business and Entry and Residency in Europe, Business Guide to Immigration Law, Going Global Trends in Outboard Immigration and features regularly in the Who’s Who Legal Corporate Immigration publications.
- Information on Temporary Protection for People fleeing the conflict in Ukraine >
- Further Temporary Extension of Immigration and International Protection Permissions to 31 May 2022 >
- Update to Covid-19 Travel Requirements into the State >
- Changes to the Citizenship Application Process and Immigration Requirements over the Christmas Period >
- Business Immigration in Ireland >
- Complete Lifting of Mandatory Hotel Quarantine in Ireland >
- Announcement of a Final Extension of Immigration Permissions to 15 January 2022 >
- Processing of Short-Stay Visas to Resume from Monday 13 September >
- Lifting of Travel Restrictions from 19 July >
- Update to the Lifting of Temporary Entry and Transit Visa Restrictions that came into effect in January 2021 >
- Update 20 May 2021: Covid-19 Visa Arrangements >
- Further Changes to Designated List of 'Category 2' Countries for the Purposes of Mandatory Hotel Quarantine >
- Burgh Quay Immigration Office to Reopen on Monday 10 May 2021 >
- Additional Countries Added to Designated List of 'Category 2' High Risk Countries for the Purposes of mandatory Hotel Quarantining from 4AM May 4th >
- Exemptions Introduced for Mandatory Hotel Quarantining for Those who Have been fully vaccinated >
- Additional 16 Countries Added to List of 'High Risk' Countries from Thursday 15 April >
- Further Temporary Extension to Immigration Permissions >
- Mandatory Hotel Quarantine Legislation in Force from Friday 26 March 2021 >
- Update to Quarantine Requirements for Ireland, Including High Risk Category 2 Countries >
- Government Introduces System of Mandatory Quarantine for Anyone Arriving in Ireland from Abroad >
- Important Further Updates Regarding Temporary Changes to Ireland's Visa Requirements and Employment Permit Regime >
- Visa Updates and Announcements - Notice Covid-19 Visa Arrangements >
- Update to Covid-19 Travel Restrictions and Measures >
- New Pre-Departure testing Requirements from 16 January 2021 >
- Key considerations for employers in Ireland with existing and future non-EU national employees >
- Negative covid-19 pcr test result required for travel from Great Britain or South Africa >
- Sixth Extension of Immigration Permissions and Further Closure of Burgh Quay >
- Ireland bans all flights from Great Britain – update >
- Covid-19: Interim Period Extended >
- Re-opening of Burgh Quay and changes to Irish Residence Permit (IRP) renewals >
- Change in procedure for existing Irish pre-clearance schemes >
- Ireland implementing new EU ‘Traffic Lights’ approach to travel >
- Level 5 restrictions and likely impact on travel to Ireland >
- Immigration Update: First Registrations, Renewal of IRP Cards, and Applications to Change Permission >
- Immigration Update: Burgh Quay Registration Office Re-opens for First Time Registrations >
- Further Extension of Irish Residency Permissions and Temporary Closures >
- Covid-19: Extension of Irish Residency Permissions due to Expire in July 2020 or August 2020 >
- Online Application System to be made available for all Dublin based Irish Residency Permit Renewal Applicants >
- New Temporary Residency First Time Registration Process Announced and Change of Permission email Facility Extended >
- New Electronic Application Process for Immigration Permission Changes >
- Covid-19: Employment Permit Contingency Plan Announced >
- Covid-19: The impact on Irish Immigration - issues for employers >
- Contracts of Employment for Employees without a valid work permit, 'unenforceable' in labour court and WRC >
- Professional Memberships
A founding member of the European Immigration Lawyers Group, Cicero International League of Lawyers.
- Admitted as a solicitor in 1988
- B.C.L. (1983), University College Dublin