A changing landscape
The last few years have seen significant changes in the retail and consumer sector as businesses try and keep pace with fast-evolving consumer expectations and market trends. For our clients, the ability to respond to these opportunities and challenges efficiently and strategically is critical in building and maintaining a competitive advantage.
Addleshaw Goddard works with some of the largest and most well-known brands in the sector. This includes household consumer goods, food and drink businesses, multi-channel retailers and high-street occupiers such as pubs and restaurants. We advise these clients on all areas of their legal requirements, from key strategic deals to day-to-day operational challenges.
Our team are consistently ranked as one of the best in the retail and consumer sector. We have been listed in Band 1 for the sector in Chambers UK for the past six years as a "premier retail and consumer offering for clients on a national scale".
Our sector clients include Associated British Foods, B&Q, Britvic, The Co-operative Group, Diageo, Evans Cycles, Hobbs, McBride, Primark, PZ Cussons, Sainsbury's and Tate & Lyle.
Core Areas of Focus:
- Extensive experience
Our experience in this sector is vast. Highlights include:
- Advising on the complex break up of Diageo's South African joint ventures with Heineken and Namibia Breweries.
- Advising Britvic on its acquisition of Ebba in Brazil, its first strategic purchase in emerging markets.
- Advising ECI Partners on its acquisition of Evans Cycles through a very competitive auction process.
- Advising Muller on its acquisition of Dairy Crest's dairy business in an £80m deal.
- Advising various clients on the GSCOP.
- Advising Royal Mail on their strategic tie-up with Alibaba Group Holding Ltd's Tmall Global e-marketplace, providing access to the largest B2C retail platform in Asia.
- Advising Sainsbury's on its JV with Dansk to reintroduce the Netto discounter format.
- Thought Leadership and Credentials
From horizon scanners outlining upcoming legislation changes to reports uncovering some of the emerging trends in the sector, we provide a whole range of useful resources for retail and consumer businesses.
Discover more below along with information on our experience and credentials.
Retail & Consumer credentials
This handy PDF provides an overview of our expertise and experience in the Retail and Consumer sector.
Retail and Consumer Training Academy
The Retail and Consumer Academy is a partnership between AG and an ever-growing cohort of in-house advisors to deal with the resulting legal and resource challenges presented by the changes in the industry. We are proud to say that our Academy is well attended by in-house advisors from some of the country's biggest fashion, food and beverage, supermarket and leisure companies.