Lauren is a Partner in Addleshaw Goddard's Commercial Disputes team, based in London.
Lauren has a wide client base, acting for corporates, public bodies, financial institutions and high net worth individuals on a broad range of their business disputes. She routinely advises clients on issues such as contract termination, breaches of warranty and indemnity, shareholder disputes, completion disputes, professional negligence and disputes with subcontractors and suppliers.
Lauren has particular expertise and experience on technology related disputes, regularly advising clients on issues arising with their IT and technology estates, IT supply contracts and transformation projects.
Lauren is skilled at helping clients resolve disputes without the need for formal proceedings through mediation or other forms of alternative dispute resolution, whilst also having extensive experience of bringing and defending claims through litigation in the English Courts and in arbitrations under the major arbitral rules (e.g. LCIA, ICC, ICSID). Lauren's experience also includes conducting tax cases in tribunal (both first tier and upper) for clients against HMRC.
Amongst Lauren's strengths is her significant trial and appellate experience, including managing heavy-weight and complex proceedings which are often cross border in nature. Lauren is also qualified as a Solicitor-Advocate giving her higher rights of audience in all courts in England and Wales.
Lauren's experience extends to all types of relief, including wasted expenditure, loss of profits, specific performance, rectification, declaratory relief, judicial review remedies and injunctions.
Lauren regularly uses technology in the conduct of her cases to save time and costs. In particular, she employs AI software and other pioneering legal tech to streamline document review and disclosure processes, as well as other project management tools to help manage large and/or multi party claims. Lauren routinely advises clients on innovative litigation funding options and is used to conducting litigation with either her clients or opponents using these financing models.
Lauren co-leads the AG's Tech Disputes team and is a member of the Society of Computer Lawyers.
Lauren's recent experience includes:
- Acting for The Co-operative Insurance in a claim against IBM (UK) Limited for substantial wasted expenditure arising out of a failed transformation project which was heard by the Technology and Construction Court in an 8 week trial - the case was listed in The Lawyers' Top 20 cases of 2020.
- Advising a European client in the insurance sector in respect of a dispute with its supplier regarding the supply of a new business critical IT platform.
- Advising UK retailer in respect of injunctive proceedings with a supplier of technology related products.
- Advising a leading investment manager in a dispute regarding the termination of a funding agreement which was successfully settled after following a contractual ADR process
- Advising an Indian conglomerate in an arbitration dispute with an African State Ministry in connection with a public tender for a mining concession.
- Acting for The Co-operative Insurance in a claim against IBM (UK) Limited for substantial wasted expenditure arising out of a failed transformation project; the issues involved claims for unlawful termination, breach of warranty, failures to report and delays and raised complex issues of law and expert evidence around common IT supply contractual provisions including warranties, reporting obligations, limitation clauses, responsibilities for delays and the approach to wasted expenditure claims.
- Advising a European client in the insurance sector in respect of a dispute with its supplier regarding the supply of a new business critical IT platform arising from delay and scope arguments.
- Advising a UK retailer in a contractual dispute with a supplier of technology related products in the English Courts, including defending injunctive proceedings.
- LEXOLOGY - "Section 45 of the Arbitration Act 1996 - an often forgotten tool in the arbitration toolbox" (July 2018)
- Year qualified
French - basic command
- University College, Oxford – BA in Jurisprudence (2005)
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice – Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (2006)
- Solicitor-Advocate of the Higher Courts of England and Wales (Civil Division) (2016)
- Professional memberships
- Member of the Society of Computer and Law (SCL)