As a former in-house lawyer, Rémy finds pragmatic solutions to complex negotiations and cross-border projects, focusing always on the business result.
His core areas of expertise include mergers & acquisitions, private equity acquisitions and disposals as well as build-up and carve-out operations, and strategic commercial contracts. He has accumulated over 30 years of experience, both in-house and in private practice, in energy and renewables, defence, aerospace and technology, paper and packaging, as well as the cosmetics, food and retail industries.
Rémy also enjoys partnering with in-house teams to identify new ways of service delivery and has successfully led several innovation projects (contract automation, rationalisation of purchasing and logistics, streamlining of business processes) that help demonstrate the legal departments’ contribution to the company’s strategic goals.
A bilingual English speaker and bicultural by background, Rémy has lived and worked extensively in the UK, Germany, Russia and the Middle East. He is able to straddle cultural differences and bridge the gaps between multinationals, medium-sized groups, management teams and individual entrepreneurs.
- Advised Argos Wityu in the LMBO acquisition from the Sage Plc group of several professional software businesses including I’Car Systems, subsequent build ups in Portugal, Spain and France with the acquisition of Datafirst, and eventual sale to the Providence Strategic Growth funds.
- Advised the Mibelle group (groupe Migros) in connection with the renegotiation of complex contract manufacturing agreements.
- Advised DS Smith in several M&A projects, including forced disposals mandated by competition authorities.
- Advised the shareholders of Telstar in the acquisition and financing of the Martor group of companies, specialising in pumping solutions for the building industry, and subsequent MBI sale of the Telstar group of companies to investors lead by Dealbydeal Invest and Trocadero Capital Partners.
- Advised Procter & Gamble’s fragrance and cosmetics divisions for the disposal of manufacturing assets and simultaneous conclusion of long-term sourcing arrangements.
- Advised a leading French defence and aeronautics group in the context of acquisitions of aircraft components businesses.
- Advised international sponsors in the greenfield set up and financing of solar and wind farms in Portugal, Greece, Spain, Italy and France over several years.
- Providing ongoing advice to a global US-headquartered group, leading manufacturer of packaging components and delivery systems for healthcare products.
- Advised Saipem in the context of the sale of a business line in France.
- Advised JR286 in the context of the acquisition of the Dakine business in Europe, specialised in surfing, skiing and lifestyle equipment.
- Advised a leading packaging group in the context of a complex outsourcing project for a global digital transformation group.
- Advised an Indian agrochemicals group on the restructuring of its manufacturing and marketing operations in Europe.
- Admitted as avocat (Paris bar qualification), 2005
- Master of business, ESSEC Business School, 1993
- BA (Hons.) in English law, University of Kent at Canterbury, 1991
- Master of business law, University of Paris XI, 1990
"Recruiting lawyers: what are the keys to success?" interview of Rémy Blain and Roland Dana (Dana Human Capital) published in La LJA (8 February 2022) - view here >
What are the main opportunities in the aircraft industry? Rémy Blain decrypted the market and its upcoming opportunities following the pandemic of COVID-19. Watch Rémy's interview >
Le Monde du Droit, 30/03/2021 ITW - view here >
- French - native
- English - bilingual
- The M&A Team has been ranked by Décideurs Leaders League as "Highly recommended" for transactions up to €75 million (edition 2021)
- Rémy Blain has been ranked by Best Lawyers (edition 2022) in the following category: "The Best Lawyers in France" for private equity law.