Jack advises on complex, strategic contracts and public procurement, particularly where there is an IT element. He has a creative, practical and common-sense approach, helping clients navigate complex issues to find realistic and commercially-minded solutions.
Recent representative matters include:
- Smart DCC - a multi £billion suite of IT and telecoms contracts for upgrading the smart meter network, a programme which represents the client's largest spend on a single project and a multi-faceted procurement process which ran for c.2 years.
- York Central - advising Network Rail and Homes England on a multi £billion scheme, a flagship central government initiative, seen as one of the most strategically important regeneration sites in the UK.
- Successful defence and challenge of various public procurement procedures, acting for both bidders and authorities/utilities.
- Microsoft – negotiation of a payments platform MSA which will provide both bricks and mortar/POS and online services to consumers. Initially for the UK with the ability to roll out globally
- Allied Irish Bank – negotiation of a software-as-a-service MSA for strong customer authentication software which needed to navigate various regulatory impacts for the client. Key issues arose around understanding data flows and how the service was being delivered to ensure appropriate protections were in place
- PLC client – advising a PLC client on the divestment of part of their business which relies on a proprietary IT platform. A complex two-way transitional services arrangement is being agreed to allow both parties to carry on business after the sale. This involves assignment of key IPR and licensing of source and object code as well as setting out a software-as-a-service provision
- FTSE 100 global bank – negotiation of a software-as-a-service agreement for financial planning solutions for use by advisors and consumers
- Professional memberships
- Society for Computers and Law
- Procurement Lawyers Association