Our Investment Management Group includes corporate, real estate, tax, finance and regulatory lawyers. With all boasting exceptional transactional experience from magic circle and top tier practices, it is one of the UK’s market-leading specialist practices.
We advise fund sponsors, managers, general partners and a wide range of investors, including fund of funds (FOF), sovereign wealth and public/private pensions and companies. We steer them through the maze of legal, tax, jurisdictional and regulatory issues in establishing, operating and investing in funds, as well as ensuring that all structures reflect best industry practice at the relevant time. We also advise on deals across a wide range of sectors, with particular focus/expertise in the real estate sector.
In addition, we have a fully integrated indirect real estate offer, advising on all downstream aspects of corporate real estate transactions, be they complex joint ventures, group reorganisations or cross-border acquisitions and disposals of property holding structures. Our comprehensive understanding of the deal process, from cradle to grave, makes this possible; we work across the structuring and financing of deals, throughout the operational phase and to ultimate exit.
We understand real estate businesses and how they operate and can integrate ourselves with clients, to serve as extensions of their own deal teams.
For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team now. You can also find more details below, from case highlights to what our clients say about us.
- Funds experience
Recent highlights include advising:
- Actis on the takeover of several emerging market funds previously managed by the Abraaj Group – representing c.US$5bn of assets under management
- advising a global institution on the launch of the several private equity fund of funds, and the deployment of several US$bn of private equity primary and secondary fund investments and co-investments
- Hamilton Lane Advisers in connection with it establishing an European arm of a private equity fund
- a multinational insurance company on setting up a renewable energy fund
- a global institution and manager on setting up a student accommodation fund
- a global private equity fund manager on its Brexit strategy and planning
- Partners Group about its investment in a number of real estate and private equity funds
- GLIL Infrastructure LLP on its direct co-investment alongside PSP Investments and a number of Australian Superannuation Funds in connection with the £1.4bn takeover of Forth Ports
- Virgin Money on its joint venture with Aberdeen Standard Investments in connection with the establishment of a new fund platform
- YFM Private Equity on the launch of YFM Equity Partners Buyout II and YFM Equity Partners Growth II
- a public body on its joint venture with Altana Wealth in connection with the launch of a new social impact fund
- Aberdeen Standard Investments on the realisation and winding up of the Standard Life Investments Property Development Fund
- A number of statutory bodies on entering into bespoke managed account arrangements
- Barcapel Equity on the establishment of their first-time fund Barcapel Equity One LP
- Indirect real estate experience
Recent highlights include advising:
- Battersea Power Station Development Company on its £1.583bn sale of the commercial elements within the Battersea Power Station development to a Malaysian joint venture
- Telereal Trillium on its entry into a joint venture with Blackstone Property Partners to acquire Network Rail's £1.46bn commercial estate portfolio
- Singapore Press Holdings on its £448m acquisition of the Student Castle student accommodation portfolio
- Dandara on its structuring and funding of a new circa 2,000 unit Build-to-Rent portfolio
- Chung Kei Group on its £270m acquisition of 5 Churchill Place, Canary Wharf
- Rasmala Investment Bank and Gulf Islamic Investments on their on their joint acquisition of two logistic facilities in Dortmund, Germany through a sharia’h compliant joint venture structure
- CC Land Holdings on its £292m acquisition of One Kingdom Street, London
- HB Reavis on its £240 million acquisition and development of Elizabeth House, Waterloo for redevelopment into a mixed use scheme with a reported development value of £1.3 billion
"The majority of investments I make for my funds are direct real estate, however I have recently exchanged terms to buy the units in a Jersey Property Unit Trust and Limited Partnership. I am used to receiving good quality and timely advice on property purchases from AG, but was, quite frankly, delighted with the service on the corporate side. I received a clear explanation at each step of the process about what was happening and why, and what it meant. I was given commercial advice, and perhaps more important in this transaction, AG managed to take out some of the emotion to keep everything on track. The link with the corporate and property sides of the transaction made the whole process much simpler."
Jason Baggaley, Standard Life Investments
"[AG] have shown themselves to be dedicated, extremely responsive, technically and commercially astute. [Their] transactional management skills of a variety of work streams were instrumental in getting the matter completed, not to mention making the life of in-house counsel substantially easier."
General counsel/institutional fund manager