Helena leads the data protection team at Addleshaw Goddard and has over 20 years of experience as a specialist data, information and technology legal adviser. Helena is a Chambers Band 1 ranked data and information specialist. Helena has significant experience leading strategic data and information advisory projects and contract negotiations for high profile clients including including, in the financial services sector, Santander, Lloyds Bank, Virgin Money, NFU Mutual and Saga. Helena and her team provide the full spectrum of data advisory support including data incident response, data audit and compliance review, international transfers, data subject access, ad-tech marketing and data optimisation, use of AI, as well as providing support on significant transactions involving the sale, purchase, licensing and sharing of data assets. “…an exceptional adviser. She combines legal expertise with commercial understanding and a refreshingly straightforward manner” (Chambers 2023).
Helena's recent experience includes:
- Advising on the circa £40 million acquisition of a portfolio of technology companies, including due diligence on IP and licence rights and transfer of IP;
- Advising on disposal of a major arts brand and associated data rights;
- Advising a leading food and drink manufacturer on university research collaborations;
- Advising a major platform provider on GDPR compliance.
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- PDP Accredited Data Protection Specialist
- Society for Computers and Law
- Scottish Financial Enterprise
"Helena is praised by her clients and peers for her excellent specialist knowledge, her skills in delivering training and her pragmatic, effective, and responsive approach, and is recognised as : "incredibly knowledgeable and responsive"