Our employment team has a nationally and internationally acknowledged reputation for all aspects of employment law.
The team has a particular focus on high stakes litigation in the Employment Tribunal and High Court, major projects and transactions and for investigations around regulatory and compliance issues with an employment angle.
We are one of the most experienced teams in the UK, and trusted advisors to a wide range of businesses including international corporates, FTSE companies, financial institutions and public and private sector organisations.
Our team has specialist experience in handling complex and sensitive matters for clients which are high value or have the potential to affect strategy and reputation.
We also understand that each client’s circumstances are unique and adapt our approach accordingly.
Our main employment related practice areas are:
Our strength is in the breadth of our coverage, which includes:
- Collective labour issues including labour disputes, trade union recognition, negotiating collective agreements, works councils, information and consultation agreements
- All aspects of discrimination law, including those outside the employment sphere such as access to goods and services
- The recruitment and termination of senior executives including all corporate governance issues
- Immigration, namely the employment of senior non-EEA nationals in the UK. Find out more about our immigration practice here
- Litigation in the High Court, county courts and employment tribunals on disputes ranging from unfair dismissal and discrimination claims to restraint of trade and breach of confidence, including consideration of foreign law and jurisdiction issues.
- Outsourcing, including numerous multijurisdictional and offshoring deals
- Privacy and data protection, undertaking audits of HR documentation and related procedures, advising on subject access requests and applications to the Information Commissioner
- Restructuring and organisational change, including the planning and implementation of redundancy programmes, boardroom restructuring and changing terms and conditions
- Transactional work, which has seen us advise on the employment aspects of national and global corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, private equity and initial public offerings
- Recent experience
Our recent experience includes advising:
- Head hunters, leading international accounting and law firms and financial institutions on partner and team hires, departures and the enforceability of post termination restraints
- Employers on template employment contracts and handbooks
- A FTSE 100 company on a £1.4 million whistleblowing claim
- A FTSE 100 company in relation to a large scale restructuring and redundancy exercise and the successful handling of various Employment Tribunal claims
- A Fortune 350 company in relation to a complex disability discrimination case in the Employment Appeal Tribunal
- A global bank in an outsourcing project involving employment issues in 38 jurisdictions
- A major credit card service provider in relation to the acquisition of another business and the harmonisation of terms and conditions
- In a landmark case in the High Court relating to the enforcement of restrictive covenants subject to a foreign law
- An international practice
Our UK employment practice is complemented by specialist teams in the Middle East and Asia where we combine local market expertise with the very best expertise. Where we don’t have offices we can call upon employment lawyers across our preferred firm network to provide clients with advice wherever required.
The Hong Kong employment team has experience advising on a full range of employment issues both in Hong Kong and across China. Nigel Francis is the lead Partner in Hong Kong and is particularly experienced in contentious employment litigation involving restrictive covenants and breaches of confidence, having acted in many leading cases there. AG is frequently approached by international corporates to coordinate regional reviews to ensure global standards of practice are upheld. On these projects, AG works closely with a network of similarly specialist employment firms across Asia.
The Middle East
Gorvinder Pannu leads our team in the GCC where we have experience across both contentious and non contentious employment matters, working with an enviable portfolio of multinational companies, blue chip companies and local companies across all sectors, in particular oil and gas, power and water, transportation, telecoms, education, and financial institutions.
In common with our UK team, we also deliver training and workshops to clients in our local markets on various employment topics.
AG is also a member of the Employment Law Alliance, the leading international network of more than 3,000 attorneys providing employment and labour expertise in more than 90 countries and all 50 US states.
"Their litigation work is Magic Circle quality, at an affordable rate."
Chambers UK (2016)
"They have a range of excellent skills and a collective knowledge of financial services that is outstanding."
Chambers UK (2016)
"Their attention to detail is first class."
The Legal 500 (2015)