Alex is an associate in the Competition team based in London with experience in representing multinational and UK clients from a range of industries (including aviation, technology, retail and automotives) in global cartel investigations and cross-border merger control proceedings before the European Commission, the Competition and Markets Authority and other competition agencies globally. He also has experience in advising on the application of antitrust law to commercial agreements and practices; in particular, in joint venture and tender contexts.
Aside from his experience in private practice, Alex recently spent nine months with SSE Plc where he advised in particular on antitrust risks in joint venture and joint bidding scenarios, as well as in the context of the Government's Contracts for Difference auction rounds, and engaged with Ofgem on a variety of regulatory issues.
Prior to joining AG, Alex worked for another international law firm and has practised in London and Brussels.
Alex's recent experience includes:
- Advising Lexon and Knights Pharmacy, the wholesale and retail pharmacy businesses acquired by the Bestway Group, on the procedural and substantive aspects of the merger control review by the UK CMA.
- Advising a large US-based private equity group in securing EU, UK and other merger control clearances in relation to various acquisitions, including in the consumer discretionary, education publishing, insurance, oil and gas, and petrochemical spaces.
- Advising a consortium comprising a private equity firm and two airlines in its acquisition of a major UK airline, securing conditional Phase I clearance before the European Commission (following a successful derogation request).
- Representing a global electronic components manufacturer in its applications for leniency to the European Commission, in relation to possible breaches of Article 101 TFEU, persuading the Commission not to open an investigation.
- Representing a global manufacturer of mobile cranes in a "three-to-two" acquisition, securing CMA unconditional Phase I clearance, and coordinating Phase I clearance in Germany.
- Advising one of the world's largest automotive OEMs in connection with suspected resale price maintenance and hub-and-spoke risks.
- Advising on competition aspects of the sale of Sheffield Forgemasters to the UK Government to support the recapitalisation of the business's defence-critical plant, equipment and infrastructure.
- Coordinating successful Phase I clearances from the Bundeskartellamt, KFTC and SAMR in connection with the sell-down of SSE's interests in phases A and B of Dogger Bank, the world's largest offshore wind farm, to Eni.
- "Key Issues in International Merger Control: Practical Considerations", American Bar Association's Antitrust in the Americas conference, May 9-10, 2019.
- "The EU adopts its first foreign direct investment regulation", JDSupra, March 27, 2019.
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales