Nicola’s practice is weighted heavily towards private equity transactions and also early and later stage investments for high potential start-up and SME companies, but she also handles mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate restructurings.
Nicola advises on the establishment of management incentive and employee share schemes, often in the context of investment transactions.
In addition, Nicola advises clients on company law and corporate governance compliance, including directors loans, purchase of own shares and capital maintenance.
Recent Experience includes advising:
- The Shareholders of Connemara Biomedical Holdings (parent company of Aran Biomedical) on its sale to US medical device manufacturer, Integer.
- Vetex Medical Ltd: advised on its initial and subsequent funding rounds and in 2020 advised its shareholders on the sale of its entire share capital to Surmodics Inc.
- Atlantic Therapeutics on a number of equity funding transactions.
- Plannet 21 Communications on its acquisition of eCom and Agile Networks.
- Cambridge Education Group: acquisition of a majority stake of iHeed Health Training in April 2021 and related shareholder agreements with existing investors and further advised on its acquisition of Castel International (Education) Ltd.
Representative Clients include: Atlantic Therapeutics, Cambridge Education Group, CroíValve, Plannet 21, Loci Orthopaedics, Revive Active, Tympany Medical, Remedy Biologics, Symphysis Medical
"Nicola has an ability to bring commercial solutions to difficult deal points and maintaining the deal momentum."
Chambers Europe, 2023
"Nicola has a way of articulating the law in a way that is efficient and easy to understand. She has an astute ability to understand all the variables at play."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“Nicola advises clients on a broad remit of corporate and M&A mandates, including funding rounds.”
Chambers Europe, 2022
"Nicola McGrath, partner in the corporate law department has brought me through a number of company acquisitions. She has a wonderful way of articulating the law in a way that is efficient and really easy."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“Nicola uses her experience to cut through the fog that is created between multiple entities and get right to the central heart of the matter. She has vast knowledge of the problem, but brings it down to very simple principles that can be dealt with directly and efficiently….she has notable expertise in company restructurings.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“Nicola is extremely personable and highly knowledgeable…she offers the most practical and commercial solutions whilst protecting our interests as a client.”
Chambers Europe, 2021
“Nicola is always exceptionally responsive, helpful and forthcoming.”
Chambers Europe, 2020
“Nicola offers practical and timely solutions to all problems encountered”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2019
“Nicola has a tremendous knowledge of corporate law, and one of her key strengths is her ability to negotiate”
Chambers Europe, 2019
Clients appreciate that “she’s always contactable and always provides solutions to complex problems”
Chambers Europe, 2018
- Nicola has contributed to a number of articles on corporate governance, taxation, mergers and employee schemes.
- Budget 2021 - Hope based on realism? >
- Admitted as a solicitor in 1997
- Associate of the Institute of Taxation (1997)
- B.A. in Natural Sciences (1992) Cambridge University