Mark is a Partner in the Competition, EU and Regulatory team based in the regions. Mark advises on a wide range of competition and EU law issues across a variety of sectors. Mark has particular experience of multi-jurisdictional merger control matters having represented clients in cross-border M&A in front of the European Commission, the Competition and Markets Authority and competition regulators globally. Mark also represents clients in competition law investigations, market studies and investigations as well as advising clients on state aid, routes to market issues, strategic collaborations and co-operation, competition law disputes and appeals and competition law compliance. Mark has significant experience of advising clients in regulated sectors including the water, rail and energy sectors including on the interplay between sector regulation, competition and EU law. Mark also has experience of appeals in the EU courts and has previously spent time on secondment in the in-house competition law team at a global pharmaceutical company.
Mark's recent experience includes:
- representing clients in phase 1 and phase 2 merger control proceedings (including remedies processes) before the Competition and Markets Authority and the European Commission
- responding to dawn raids by the Competition and Markets Authority and the European Commission and representing clients in the subsequent investigations
- advising a number of clients in regulated industries in respect of abuse of dominance concerns arising from (regulated and non-regulated) pricing, organisational structure and commercial arrangements
- advising a number of water companies on specific regulatory requirements in statutory licences and representing water companies before Ofwat
- advising a government department on its EU law obligations
- advising a trade association on the EU state aid regime in the context of Covid-19 and advising a number of clients in respect of the relaxation of competition law enforcement in the context of Covid-19
- advising clients in a number of industries in respect of strategic collaborations and commercial arrangements with competitors
- designing and implementing compliance programmes for a variety of clients including training, mock dawn raids, e-learning and audit
- advising clients on the competition law aspects of strategic litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark worked for international law firms and has practised in London and Brussels.
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Ireland