Our dedicated team specialises in the resolution of reinsurance disputes and also advises on non-contentious issues.
Addleshaw Goddard brings and defends reinsurance claims on behalf of London and worldwide reinsurers, with our broad client base including the leading players in these markets.
- Proactive and pragmatic commercial advice that assists clients in the prevention, management or resolution of reinsurance disputes
- Professional indemnity; financial institution risks; errors and omissions (E&O); directors and officers (D&O); general liability; marine; product liability; property/casualty claims; energy; and construction
- Complex reinsurance arbitration, litigation and alternative dispute resolution
- Experience working on high-value cross-border disputes
- Advising on the regulatory framework governing reinsurers
Our work has involved:
- Advice on the impact of the Insurance Act 2015, specifically in relation to distribution agreements
- Representing an Indonesian retrocessionaire in arbitration proceedings relating to the recovery of treaty claims
- Representing various reinsurers in the recovery of historical asbestos liabilities
- Representing clients in disputes involving the construction and interpretation of treaty and XL-004 form wordings. Dr Caroline Bell has published a thesis on this issue.
- Representing several major reinsurers in a coverage dispute with their reinsureds arising from settlement payments linked to an alleged large-scale international fraud
- Acting for a Lloyd's syndicate in run-off disputes with reinsurers on coverage issues, notification and distribution of losses
For more information, please don't hesitate to get in touch.