No organisation should wait until things go wrong to manage its risks. Our health and safety team takes a proactive approach when advising clients in building strong foundations in compliance, strategy, policies and risk exposure.
We provide bespoke regulatory advice to corporates, large national and multinational organisations, and senior individuals across a range of industry sectors including advanced manufacturing, energy and utilities, financial services, healthcare, real estate, retail & consumer and transport.
We are adept at guiding clients through the regulatory landscape within a wide range of contexts, including health & safety, corporate manslaughter, consumer protection, food safety and hygiene, fire safety , product liability and safety, corporate and directors' duties and a wide range of other criminal regulatory matters. We also advise in relation to the health and safety obligations arising as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Our practice also includes extensive experience advising and representing corporate clients at inquests in the Coroner's Court arising from work-related and other fatalities, and Public Inquiries set up by the Government to investigate matters of public concern.
When things do go wrong, we are on hand 24/7 to provide our clients with crisis support when faced with major incidents, investigations and enforcement action taken by regulatory authorities, including the Police, Health and Safety Executive (HSE), Local Authority, Trading Standards, Care Quality Commission (CQC) Fire & Rescue Service, Marine Management Organisation (MMO), Office of Rail and Road (ORR) other regulatory enforcement bodies.
AG advises on a range of regulatory matters, including:
- Health & safety
- Corporate manslaughter
- Regulatory investigations
- Product safety
- Trading standards
- Food safety
- Fire safety
- Traffic and motoring offences
- Witness preparation training - on the back of our trial performance, we have worked closely with clients on witness familiarisation training ready for significant High Court cases and international arbitrations
- Clients and experience
We have substantial experience in contentious and non-contentious regulatory matters.
Until recently we regularly acted for the HSE in a range of matters, leading to prosecutions being brought against third parties in the Crown Court and magistrates' courts. We now solely act for the firm's corporate clients and for individuals on the receiving end of such prosecutions. We have particular experience of dealing with very serious and fatal accidents. Such cases often involve representing our clients in the Coroners' Court.
We also act for and advise the firm's clients facing prosecution or investigation by other regulatory bodies, including Trading Standards, local authorities and the Civil Aviation Authority. Many of these matters involve reputation management issues.
In addition, we provide clients with training for their board of directors, senior managers and employees. For example, we have recently provided training for a number of clients in relation to crisis management, the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007, directors' duties, as well as the new sentencing scheme on the horizon for health & safety matters.
Our clients include:
- Royal Mail Group
- Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd
- Speedy Hire plc
- Hill and Smith Holdings plc and its subsidiaries
- Semperian PPP Investment Partners
- Northern Lifecare trading as ubu
The Legal 500 (2018)
- 'A very responsive team that has a detailed knowledge of the sector' The
- 'Profound attention to detail, coupled with an acute awareness of client's requirements and superb litigation and negotiating skills'
The Legal 500 (2015)
- "Real strength in depth"
- "Provides formidable representation"
- "A high-quality firm with very good specialists"
- "They've got a particular strength in the North, with a high presence there."
- "The firm is supportive and always does a quality job."