Adrian has extensive experience in compliance, and criminal defence of a range of regulatory offences. This includes representing corporate entities and individuals facing prosecution for offences ranging from manslaughter to technical regulations such as COSHH and Control of Vibration at Work. His sector experience includes retail, manufacturing, construction and utilities.
He has experience acting for clients in both Inquests and Public Inquiries, including the attendant safety and health related issues.
Adrian is at the forefront of advising clients on the liabilities and risks associated with the Building Safety Act 2022 and its attendant regulations, with his experience including all aspects of compliance with the construction and occupation phase regimes it creates. He also has a strong background advising on fire safety compliance and in response to investigations and enforcement by local Fire Authorities.
He has represented national retailers in relation to food safety and hygiene offences relating to pests and the fitness of foodstuffs for consumption. He also advises on compliance with labelling laws and on promotions and advertisements.
He has experience of Brexit related supply chain liabilities and product compliance, including in relation to UKCA and CE marking including low voltage electrical products, toys, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. His trading standards experience includes compliance with CPUT and the Consumer Rights Act.
He also has a specialist knowledge of the regulation of both CBD and tobacco and nicotine products.
His care sector experience includes mental capacity, safeguarding, CQC inspections and Local Adult Safeguarding Boards. He advises housing associations on fire safety, asbestos, electrical and legionella compliance and on the implications of the Building Safety Act.
His background includes defending personal injury claims and the parallel issues arising in simultaneous civil and criminal litigation.
- Acting for a Distribution Network Operator in relation to a fatal accident investigation leading to acquittal of the principal offence;
- Representing a director charged with seven offences under PUWER and COSHH, all charges were dropped shortly before trial;
- Acting for a global construction company in response to a prosecution for multiple historic Hand Arm Vibration breaches;
- Advising on EU wide actions to be taken in respect of goods which breached the RoHS regime due to the presence of excessive quantities of a heavy metal; and
- Advising a globally renowned insurance and investment company on the liabilities created relating to its Funds by the Building Safety Act 2022.
- Professional memberships
- Adrian is a member of the Health and Safety Lawyers Association.