Matthew is a Managing Associate in Addleshaw Goddard's Global Investigations team, specialising in corporate crime. He has represented financial institutions, multinational corporates, and senior individuals in high-profile investigations and prosecutions involving allegations of bribery, fraud, and money laundering.
Matthew also regularly advises regulated and unregulated clients of all sizes on financial and trade sanctions and export controls matters. This includes: helping clients to create and embed compliance programmes; providing strategic advice on reporting and breaches; and mitigating sanctions exposure in complex restructurings.
Matthew's representative matters include:
Acting for individuals:
- Acting for a former CEO of an ex-FTSE 250 company in relation to investigations by the Insolvency Service and Financial Conduct Authority.
- Advising the directors of a company in the retail and consumer sector in response to proceedings threatened by Companies House; and
- Defending a number of connected individuals against serious allegations of economic crime valued in the billions of dollars.*
Acting for companies:
Conducting pre-acquisition anti-bribery, anti-money laundering, and financial sanctions compliance due diligence for corporate clients;
Advising numerous clients on how to comply with UK and EU financial sanctions and export controls;
Acting in support of the monitor of a global tier-one financial institution;*
Investigating allegations of misconduct within a UK-based utilities company; and
Advising a global social media company on the composition of a content oversight board.*
*The above representative matters were handled by Matthew prior to his joining Addleshaw Goddard.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, BSc, 2013
- BPP University Law School, GDL, 2014
- BPP University Law School, LPC, 2015
- Professional Memberships
- Member and Membership Secretary of the Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- Member of the Association of Certified Sanctions Specialists