John has a broad range of corporate banking experience advising borrowers, lenders and investors throughout the UK in a variety of fields including leveraged finance, investment trusts, general corporate lending and acquisition finance. He is familiar with complex investment and debt structures and focuses on providing pragmatic and commercial advice to clients.
John also has substantial experience in real estate finance, advising on the financing, refinancing and restructuring of various listed property investment trusts as well as property developments and has worked closely with some of the leading UK asset and investment managers.
- Advised a FTSE 250 listed property investment trust on a £360m refinance of its commercial property portfolio, which was structured to allow long term fixed rate debt to be raised from an alternative lender and shorter term debt and a revolver to be obtained from a major UK bank
- Advised an actively managed Guernsey based property investment trust on a £300m refinance of its commercial property portfolio with multiple lenders and its subsequent group restructure and conversion to a UK Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
- Advised a specialist UK SME investment fund on multiple leveraged investments including negotiating the loan agreements and intercreditor arrangements required to regulate the secured investor and management loan notes that were put in place alongside traditional bank debt
- Advised various investment managers and non-Exec Boards on debt facilities provided to investment trusts
- Advised a variety of private equity houses on leveraged M&A transactions.
- Professional Memberships
Law Society of Scotland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Glasgow Graduate School of Law (2005)
- LLB (Hons) – The University of Glasgow (2004)
- Year qualified - 2007