Chris is a partner in Addleshaw Goddard's London Corporate Division. He has over 19 years' experience advising clients on their mergers, acquisitions and investment strategies, specialising in complex domestic and cross border transactions.
Chris is the Head of AG's market leading Africa Business Group where he oversees a team of 6 partners and more than 20 associates on all aspects of African legal advice from securing IP rights, to transactional activity, compliance work and disputes. He has advised FTSE 100, private equity (PE) and sovereign wealth investors on their acquisitions, investments and joint ventures in Africa. Chris is a regular visitor to the region where he lectures on issues ranging from PE investments to international bribery and corruption compliance.
Chris is also one of the lead partners in AG's Tier 1 rated Retail & Consumer Group. Having worked with FTSE 100 consumer businesses throughout his career, he focuses on transactional work in this important sector and the accompanying route-to-market, logistics and manufacturing arrangements which underpin such businesses.
Chris's clients include, amongst others, AREVA, ABF, BAT, Bestway, Catalyst Principal Partners, CDC Group, Hikma Pharmaceutical, Kajima, Leapfrog, Leidos, RBS, Reebok, Robit, Semperian and TUI Travel.
Chris's recent experience includes advising on the following transactions:
- ABF on numerous transactions including its acquisition of Dorset Cereals, Vivergo Fuels, High5, Reflex, Holgran and Fleming Howden
- Adidas (through its Reebok subsidiary) on its acquisition of Refuel (Brand Distribution)
- BAT on numerous transactions including its €550 million acquisition of the TDR Group, its acquisition of Blue Nile Cigarette Company in Sudan and its acquisition of Twisp in South Africa
- Bestway on its acquisition of two cash and carry depots from A.F. Blakemore
- CDC Group on its African education joint ventures with GEMS and UNICAF and its African healthcare joint ventures with HCG and Manipal
- Leidos Inc. on its group restructuring to take advantage of the Granite Trust decision in the US
- Leapfrog on its emerging market co-investment with PG Impact Investments and Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association into NeoGrowth Credit Private Limited
- RBS on the sale of NatWest Stock Brokers, its investment and ultimate buyout of SafetoSign and its proposed branch network disposal
- Semperian on its acquisition of MAMG Asset Management Group and its £140m eurobond fundraising
- TUI Travel on its disposal of Late Rooms Limited by way of auction process
The Africa Business Group represents AG's operations across the African continent, which is home to some of the fastest growing economies in the world, presenting exciting opportunities for our clients.