Chris is a partner in Addleshaw Goddard's London Corporate Division where he leads the Core M&A team of 9 M&A partners and more than 20 associates. He has over 21 years' experience advising clients on their mergers, acquisitions and investment strategies, specialising in complex domestic and cross border transactions.
Chris is also the Head of AG's market leading Africa Business Group where he oversees a team of 10 partners and more than 20 associates on all aspects of African legal advice from securing IP rights, to transactional activity, compliance work and disputes. He has advised FTSE 100, private equity (PE) and sovereign wealth investors on their acquisitions, investments and joint ventures in Africa. Chris is a regular visitor to the region where he lectures on issues ranging from PE investments to international bribery and corruption compliance.
Chris is also one of the lead partners in AG's Tier 1 rated Retail & Consumer Group. Having worked with FTSE 100 consumer businesses throughout his career, he focuses on transactional work in this important sector and the accompanying route-to-market, logistics and manufacturing arrangements which underpin such businesses.
Chris's clients include, amongst others, AREVA, ABF, BAT, Bestway, Catalyst Principal Partners, CDC Group, Hikma Pharmaceutical, Kajima Partnerships, Leapfrog Investments, Leidos, Lucozade Ribena Suntory, M&S, RBS, Reebok, Robit, Semperian and TUI Travel. His recent transactions include:
- ABF on numerous transactions including its acquisition of Dorset Cereals, Vivergo Fuels, High5, Reflex, Holgran, Fleming Howden and the Al'Fez brand
- BAT on numerous transactions including its €550 million acquisition of the TDG Group, its acquisition of Blue Nile Cigarette Company in Sudan, its acquisition of Twisp in South Africa
- CDC Group on its African education joint ventures with GEMS and UNICAF, its African healthcare joint ventures with HCG and Manipal and the creation of Zanzibar Pharma with DPI and EBRD, its investment in commercial solar panel business, Mettle Solar, and the refinancing of Miro Forestry
- RBS on the creation of NatWest Tyl with its related investment in Pollinate Networks
- TUI Travel on its disposal of Late Rooms Limited by way of auction process.
The Africa Business Group represents AG's operations across the African continent, which is home to some of the fastest growing economies in the world, presenting exciting opportunities for our clients.
- AG's Annual M&A Trends Analysis
- Editor of the AG Africa Business Group newsletter