Excellence in transaction execution combined with market leading regulatory and sector knowledge
Our specialist FS Transactions team brings together excellence in transaction execution with market leading sector and regulatory knowledge in Financial Services, proven and innovatively delivered on complex transactions for leading clients in the sector.
What do we do?
Whilst most law firms have corporate and M&A practices, Addleshaw Goddard has a specialist, highly regarded, FS Transactions team advising on leading deals in the financial services sector, from domestic and cross border M&A, debt portfolio transfers, schemes under Part VII FSMA and overseas equivalents, building society and mutual mergers, commercial and affinity arrangements, strategic investments and joint ventures, capital raisings, restructuring and reorganisations, to significant regulatory driven major projects and programmes.
- How can we help on your deal?
Excellence and value: our leading FS experienced professionals recognise the importance of delivering value and cost certainty to deal budgets, and so leverage our team of partners, associates, paralegals (and if required AG Integrate contract lawyers) to support your deal with the right blend (and cost) of expertise and resource.
Complex financial institutions: we are experienced in working with complex financial institutions to deliver successful transactions, and working closely with group and divisional/functional legal teams, strategy/ corporate development teams, project management teams, compliance/risk/regulatory, data, tax, HR and Comms, all to deliver effective support on transactions.
Project Management: we have de-constructed our transaction approach to ensure we have the right strategic focus throughout a deal and have created strong, efficient, repeatable, processes. Our online M&A tool kit maps transaction stages and hosts our process templates, precedents, know-how and market intelligence, improving efficiency of our deal teams, reducing risk and driving us to be thoughtful through your deal journey and ensure outputs are tied to your transaction objectives.
Buy side deals: we undertake scoped and sector relevant diligence alongside your business functions. Supported by technology, our efficient diligence reporting identifies risk, analyses impact and suggests mitigation alternatives. Our knowledge of financial products, regulatory frameworks, market infrastructure, and operation of FS businesses means our advice is business focused. We work with a clear understanding of your deal objectives and risk appetite, and we tailor our advice and documentation accordingly. We also incorporate integration planning into a successful acquisition strategy.
Sell side deals: we have deep experience of advising on strategic and non-core divestment programmes. We have developed efficient processes to gather data room information and allocate responsibility for collation and risk sign off. We work with external financial advisers and strategy/corporate development teams to run auction processes and bilateral sale processes. We know how to navigate the complexity of separation issues, how to deliver an absolute exit, or ongoing partnering/relationship arrangements.
- Our focus within FS
- Banks and "Challenger" Banks
- Consumer Lenders
- Card Providers
- Debt Portfolios
- Wealth & Asset Management
- Building Societies and Mutuals
- FS focussed Private Equity
- Leasing and Asset Finance
- Trust and Fiduciary
- Stock Exchanges
- Funds (including Real Estate)
- Advising a leading UK based global bank on its ring-fencing project in response to banking reform
- Advising a major retail bank on the disposal of its stock broking business
- Advising on OneSavings Bank and Cabot's purchase of unsecured loan portfolio from NRAM
- Advising on Arbuthnot's portfolio acquisition from Dunfermline Building Society (in admin)
Cards and consumer lenders:
- Advising on sale of Moneybarn to Provident Financial
- Advising on sale of Smart Card Software to Rambus Inc.
- Advising on FX Corporation's sale of Eurochange
Wealth and Asset Management:
- Advising on Cheviot's sale to Quilter Bridgepoint
- Advising on Rathbone's acquisitions of Jupiter's UK fund management business and the Vision IFA business
- Advising Miller Insurance on its sale of a majority interest to the Willis Group
- Advising on Simplyhealth Group's sale of its private medical insurance business to AXA PPP
FS focussed Private Equity:
- Advising on Synova's investments in Stackhouse Poland and Defaqto
- Advising on Anacap's investment in Indigo Michael and Broadway Financial
Building Societies and Mutuals:
- Advised Engage Mutual's merger with Family Investments
- Advised on Skipton's sale of HML
- Advised on each of the last 22 building society mergers