Since qualifying with the firm in 2007, Louise has focused on commercial dispute resolution and risk management, including procurement challenges, public law disputes and high value complex contractual disputes (including warranty claims, shareholder disputes and litigation involving large scale project agreements) in a number of sectors.
She has particular experience of the management of confidential data and information in disputes (whether personal or business data).
Louise acts for both public and private clients, and provides advice on live claims alongside dealing with alternative dispute resolution, dispute avoidance and risk management support. She assists with contract negotiations and terminations, contractual exit strategies and settlements, high profile judicial reviews and supporting tender teams with complex procurement processes and the related contracts.
Louise has particular experience in a number of sectors, including retail, manufacturing and transport, and is particularly known for her expertise in the health sector, dealing with claims for private providers of products and services to the NHS, and also advising on the management of complex contractual disputes.
Louise's recent experience includes:
- advising private and public sector organisations on complex and/or critical issues, including the management, re-negotiation, default and termination of major contractual relationships, including outsourcing arrangements and IT infrastructure projects, including advising a major high street pharmacy on achieving a clean exit from the supplier of its patient records management (PRM) system and the associated hard and software
- supporting high-net worth individuals with warranty claims, earn out disputes, unfair prejudice and minority shareholder claims, following the sale of businesses in the retail, manufacturing and engineering space, including successfully achieving a drop hands settlement on a multi-million warranty claim stemming from the sale of a business by an OBE entrepreneur
- dealing with contractual claims and contentious supplier exits in the telecoms, pharmacy and retail sectors, including the exit of a global call centre operator plc from its contract with a high street retailer
- acting for a manufacturer in a dispute in both England and Northern Ireland relating to its Irish distributor and customer over the termination of distribution arrangements and withholding of associated payments and
- advising a large telecoms plc on various sub-contractor and contractual disputes relating to the Project Agreement signed for the build and maintenance phases of an expanded broadband network in the north of England, and acting for local authorities in dispute avoidance measures when managing their contracts with subcontractors for the design and build of superfast broadband networks.
- Louise is the co-author of the UK Chapter of The Government Procurement Review, the eighth edition of which will be published in 2020
- Professional memberships
- Louise is a member of the Procurement Lawyers' Association (PLA) and successfully acted in Counted4 v Sunderland City Council, the leading case on the definition of a conflict of interest in public tender processes. She is also the co-author of the UK Chapter of The Government Procurement Review.
Next Generation Partner for Commercial Disputes – Legal 500 2024
Next Generation Partner for Healthcare – Legal 500 2024
Louise Dobson – great communicator, translates complex areas of law into simple English. An expert in the area - Legal 500 2024
Louise Dobson thinks outside the box; she brings her deep knowledge of public law to bear; she is first rate - Legal 500 2024
Louise Dobson has been a source of superb information and insight. Working with her has been a pleasure, especially as a small business doing work with a large law firm - Legal 500 2024
Louise Dobson is a standout partner who I’ve had a number of dealings with on healthcare matters - Legal 500 2024
Louise Dobson is an out-of-the-box thinker; brings her great experience of public law to bear; first rate - Legal 500 2024
Ranked 'Up and Coming' in Chambers for Litigation in Yorkshire – Chambers & Partners 2024
"Louise is strategic and negotiates very hard for her clients."
Ranked Band 4 in Chambers for Public Procurement – UK wide – Chambers & Partners 2024
"Louise always provides exceptional service and measured advice."
"Louise is very attentive, efficient and knowledgeable."
Ranked Band 4 UK wide for Public Procurement in Chambers and Partners 2022
Next Generation Partner for Commercial Disputes – Legal 500 2022
Next Generation Partner for Health – Legal 500 2022
Louise Dobson is very helpful, knowledgeable, and approachable. She understands the pressures the business is facing and tailors advice to suit that - Legal 500 2022
The partner Louise Dobson was exceptional throughout, highly effective communicator and clear lines of responsibility within her team where we were working with them directly on the material. Good level of challenge, done in a respectable way and always explaining thought processes and legal basis. Strong input on best strategy and approach to negotiation element of the matter - Legal 500 2022
Louise Dobson is exceptionally knowledgeable, experienced and always makes herself available for meetings at short notice. She has great skill in being able to translate complex legal arguments into easy to understand components - Legal 500 2022
Louise Dobson is very good - she is savvy and really roots for her clients - Chambers 2021 – Band 4 ranking for Public Procurement UK wide
Louise Dobson is a relatively new partner but a ferocious litigator who goes the extra mile for her clients. She is very focussed on her clients’ commercial needs and is astute in using the law to achieve their required results, whilst remaining sensitive to the optics and relationships in the health sector - Legal 500 2021
Louise Dobson always goes the extra mile for her clients. - Legal 500 2021
Louise Dobson is great at client handling and managing large teams. Their team’s knowledge base is very strong with an in depth understanding of the particular challenges in this sector. User friendly, personable and commercial - Legal 500 2021
Next Generation Partner for Commercial Disputes – Legal 500 2021
Louise Dobson, who became a partner in May 2020, stands out for her regulatory and contentious work in the health and pharmaceuticals sectors - Legal 500 2021
Louise is fearless, strategic and focuses on the client's expectations and requirements - Chambers 2021
Associate to Watch for Public Procurement UK Wide - Chambers 2021
Rising Star for Commercial Litigation in Yorkshire - Legal 500 2021
Louise Dobson has particular experience in the health sector. Recently promoted to partner in a well-deserved appointment, she is a ferocious litigator and a pragmatic and able lawyer- definitely better to have her for you than against you! - Legal 500 2021
Louise Dobson is ‘a very effective public procurement litigator - Chambers 2020
Louise Dobson has an ability to 'translate business goals into legal parameters' and is 'approachable, calm and extremely diligent - Chambers 2020
Louise Dobson really knows her stuff - Legal 500 2020
Louise is an invaluable asset to our company – she is very knowledgeable across a range of topics and is always responsive to the matters we seek advice for - Chambers 2019
Louise Dobson is 'one of the most hard-working lawyers in the whole of Yorkshire: always available and able to judge competing demands effectively - Chambers 2019