David Père is a Partner in Addleshaw Goddard’s Global Investigation Group in Paris.
In corporate crime, he specializes in high-risk, complex cases. He represents companies and executives in French or international government or regulatory investigations related notably to money-laundering, corruption, misappropriation of company’s assets, and tax fraud. He is saluted by clients for his full availability and experience in crisis management. Indeed, he was one of the first in France to have prepared executives for police interviews with scenarios delivered in realistic conditions.
David also assists companies in the implementation of anti-corruption procedures and acted for the French Anticorruption Agency as an external expert.
Thanks to his significant experience in Court, he advises clients for internal investigations into suspicions of fraud.
- Advising and represented a senior employee from a leading global aerospace player on an criminal investigation for allegedly corrupt behaviour led by the French, UK and US authorities;
- Advising a financial institution on money laundering issues in the context of international financing operations;
- Advising companies on the robustness of their anticorruption program in the context of the new French Sapin II law;
- Assisting the French Anticorruption Agency (AFA) as external expert in the course of investigations;
- In charge of the defense of a natural person indicted for money laundering (220 million euros procedure);Defending a company executive prosecuted for illegal practice of banking, undeclared transfer of sums of money, money laundering, and no justification of resources (107 million euros procedure);
- Assisting an individual indicted laundering the proceeds of undocumented work and tax evasion, and from whom the French authorities claimed payment of the sum of 2.2 million euros in respect of evaded social contributions: acquittal and abandonment of the authorities’ claims;
- Assisting individuals accused of laundering the proceeds of tax evasion and customs violations, and illegal practice of the banking profession, from whom the Customs authorities are claiming 37 million euros of penalties;
- Defending of an art dealer listed on the Falciani files and prosecuted for tax evasion and money laundering: nullity of proceedings, acquittal and lifting of criminal seizures;
- Assisting family members of a French politician under investigation for misappropriation of public funds;
- Defending a legal counsel investigated for the laundering of bribery of foreign public officials;
- Assisting a Middle Eastern investment fund victim of an attempt to scam and use forgery in public writing;
- Assisting private equity funds in criminal litigation after acquisitions for false balance fraud;
- Representing defendants in "French plea guilty" (CRPC) proceedings in cases of misappropriation of social assets.
He teaches at the Panthéon Sorbonne University Business Ethics and Compliance Master’s Degree, and is regularly invited to participate in conferences in France and abroad, for Universities, professional organisations (AFJE, CIAN) and international or national public bodies (OECD, ENM - French School for Judges).
David is also in charge of the criminal business law seminar at Master 2 – Droit des affaires (Nanterre University).
He has been recognized by Best Lawyer in Criminal Defense in France in the 2021 edition, ranked “Excellent” for White-collar crime & compliance by Décideurs Leaders League in 2020, and selected by Legal 500 for White-collar crime in 2019.
- Université de la Sorbonne, DEA, 2003
- University of Reading, LL.M., 2002
- French – native
- English – Fluent
- Hebrew – Good command
- Spanish – Good command
David Père was interviewed by Jean Chichizola for Le Figaro following the official announcement of the Rue Copernic attack's trial that will happen on April 3, 2023. The Criminal court will decide if Hassan Diab who is suspected of having planted the bomb, is innocent or guilty. Read the article here.
Following an event hosted in the Paris office on the following topic "gifts and invitations in the business world", ActuEL Direction Juridique quoted Cécile Terret and David Père in this article: "Without a gifts and invitations policy, beware of the risk of corruption" (30 September, 2021)
Authored an article in La Lettre des juristes d'affaires "The presence of the lawyer during searches: a step forward for litigants?" (28 June, 2021) - view here >
"Compliance: a strategic issue in M&A transactions?" Discover the article written by Mathieu Taupin, David Père and Cécile Terret for DAF Magazine (9 June, 2021) - view here >
Co-authored article in the newsletter of l'IRIS "Companies facing investigations: beware of data protection" (3 June, 2021) - view here >
In the frame of the draft law for confidence in the judiciary in France, the Code of Criminal Procedure counts with a new article that will enable the lawyers to be present during the searches conducted at their clients' homes. David Père wrote an article regarding this new rule. Read the article >
On Wednesday 19 May, the Court of Cassation confirmed the holding of a trial in the case of the attack on the synagogue based Rue Copernic, which occurred on 3 May 1980. David Père, lawyer for the French Association of Victims of Terrorism (AfVT), spoke out following this decision in Le Figaro and in the 6:30 am news edition of France Culture. Listen to the interview on France Culture here, or read the interview in Le Figaro here.
Invited by Eva Soto on the Radio J morning show, David Père, lawyer representing the French Association of Victims of Terrorism, had the opportunity to comment on the validation of the procedure by the investigating chamber of the Paris Court of Appeal against the suspect, Abu Zayed. This decision could lead to a possible trial in the frame of the Rue des Rosiers terrorist attack in 1982. Listen to the interview >
Lex Inside / Le Monde du droit "Recommandations de l'AFA" 23/03/2021 - view here >
David Père, partner at Addleshaw Goddard (Paris) has been interviewed by NRK in the frame of the Rue des Rosiers' judicial case. Defending the victims of the terrorist attack, he gave his views while the Paris Court Of Appeal was discussing a possible procedural flaw connected to the extradition of the suspect - view here >
David Père & Ariane Dulcire co-wrote of a fascicule for the JurisClasseur (LexisNexis) criminal procedure "economic and financial offences" (art. 704 à 706-1-2, Fasc. 20)
- David Père has been ranked by Best Lawyers (edition 2022) in the following category: "The Best Lawyers in France" for criminal defense and litigation
- White-Collar crime Team ranked "Excellent" in "Décideurs Leaders League Group" (edition 2021)
- Compliance Team ranked "Excellent" in "Décideurs Leaders League Group" (edition 2021)
- Global Investigations and internal investigations Team ranked "Excellent" in "Décideurs Leaders League Group" (edition 2021)
- David Père has been ranked as "Highly recommended" in Criminal tax law in Décideurs Leaders League (edition 2021)