Alison is a significantly experienced real estate lawyer having worked on some of the biggest leasing and development deals at the start of her career, progressed to leading an award winning regeneration team and is now co-Head of our UK and International Real Estate Sector Team.
Alison works with teams throughout the UK acting for overseas investor / developers, private equity backed propcos and significant German investors. She is a strong voice for diversity and sustainability in Addleshaw Goddard - and its clients - and a clear and succinct communicator.
Recent experience has included:
- assembly, regear and sale out for private equity clients of a UK wide Government let portfolio
- completion of infrastructure funded by Scottish Government/local authority infrastructure loan and final releases re sales of 4 housing sites for circa 550 homes at a new town centre status development for private developer/investor
- assembly by individual acquisition by (i) sale and leaseback from Heineken and (ii) acquisition of a Jersey Unit Trust of four business units at Broadway Gyle Edinburgh, corporate reorganisation, refinance new lease to Standard Life Investments and sale of the Jersey corporate
- acquisition, re gear, development and sale of substantial tower building office asset for private equity propco – sold to local authority
- acquisition from local authority of substantial tower building office block for refurbishment, partial repurposing and reletting for private equity propco
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
"...experienced in office redevelopments, mixed-use developments, office and hotel leasing, and regeneration projects"
Legal 500 2020
"Alison Newton is "smart and very commercial," ….She regularly advises clients, including institutional and private equity investors, on corporate transactions and development matters concerning commercial property." Chambers 2019 (current edition).
"The very thorough experienced and commercially aware Alison Newton works with a number of investment funds on a variety of transactional matters. Clients say: she is very communicative and very tough in terms of negotiating."
Chambers UK (2017)
"Sources consider Alison Newton to be 'very good at understanding the commerce of a deal', and describe her as a 'very shrewd operator'. She has particular understanding of the investment market and is known for regularly handling complex and substantial portfolio transactions."
Chambers UK (2016)