The hotels and leisure industry encompasses a wide spectrum of businesses across hotels, pubs and restaurants, travel sport, leisure and gaming.
The industry is heavily affected by consumer confidence. Robust consumer confidence means that people are more willing to spend on leisure activities, supporting growth for the sector. The years 2015 and 2016 have seen an improving economic and travel backdrop but there is uncertainty looming on the horizon particularly with uncertainty in the UK and global economy. It is important to work with lawyers that understand the issues and have experience of the sector.
At Addleshaw Goddard we combine our legal expertise and sector knowledge to help clients achieve their objectives. Whether that is to finance, own, operate or develop a hotel, roll out a national restaurant offering or negotiate commercial contracts for a major arena - our hotels and leisure team can help.
- What our group can advise on
Ownership and investment
- The structuring of investments and funding of schemes
- Acquisitions and disposals of leisure assets
- Hotel Management Agreements, Franchise Agreements, NDAs
- Portfolio acquisitions and asset management
- Brand protection
- Ticketing terms and conditions
- Customer or supplier contracts
- Employment issues
- Franchise and F&B agreements
Construction and development
- Development, construction and refurbishment contracts
- Construction dispute resolution
- Extensive experience
We are the main legal advisers for Travelodge Hotels Ltd and have acted for Shearings Hotels, N H Hoteles and Manhattan Loft Corporation. We have acted on hotel schemes involving Hilton, IHG, Sofitel, Etap, Ibis, Four Seasons, Jefferson, Radisson Edwardian, Ramada, Crowne Plaza and Mondrian hotels.
We have advised on numerous venue management and ancillary agreements including ticketing and F&B agreements for Manchester's International concert venue, Ticketmaster, Newcastle Arena and BFI Imax.
Here are some examples:
- Addleshaws have a long standing, strong relationship with Travelodge Hotels Ltd which has provided a fantastic working knowledge of the budget hotel sector. We have acted for them for over 10 years and have worked all aspects of their business from acquisitions, disposals, management of their extensive portfolios, commercial agreements and operational issues.
- Addleshaws international reach means that we can advise on leisure schemes all over the world. We have recently advised on the construction of a 5 star Mondrian hotel and apartments in Dubai, involving our London, Qatar and Dubai offices and involving expertise in construction and hotel management agreements.
- Addleshaws act for a number of pub companies. We acted on the acquisition for Cerberus Capital Management of 134 pubs from Prestbury Holdings. The instruction reflects our expertise in the pub sector as we had previously acted on the other side to Cerberus when they bought Admiral Taverns a deal involving 1300 pubs.
- Advising the owner on the ACT Group/Criterion Capital – £1 billion syndicated facility from Aviva Commercial Finance Ltd secured on a £2billion portfolio including London Trocadero (including a new Ibis styles and Mercure hotel) and Criterion Theatre.
- Advising Aberdeen Asset Management on the acquisition of the iconic Albert Dock in Liverpool. A Grade 1 collection of buildings with 400,000 square feet of hotel, leisure, retail and offices including a Premier Inn and Holiday Inn.
- Acting for Manhattan Loft Corporation in relation to all of the construction contracts and property aspects required to deliver Manhattan Loft Gardens a residential and hotel tower adjacent to the former Olympic Games site at Stratford.
Our hotels and leisure team has significant industry knowledge which we have built over many years working with owners, developers, funders and operators.