The hotels and leisure industry encompass a wide spectrum of businesses across hotels, pubs and restaurants, travel sport, leisure and gaming.
Financing, owning, operating or developing a bespoke boutique hotel or an international brand? Rolling out a standalone restaurant or a national chain offering? Need advice on a dispute with a franchisee or an international arbitration? Our hotels and leisure team is at your service.
Within our team, we have some truly "big ticket" instructions. However, whether the advice you require involves the exceptional or every day ("business as usual"), you will benefit from the same unerring focus from our lawyers.
Like the sector in which we serve, connectivity is key. We provide advice to clients on a wealth of domestic sector interests as well as instructions on an international playing field. Our lawyers work cross-jurisdictionally and internationally from our offices in the UK and abroad with many of our instructions featuring multiple jurisdictions or simply involving assets based overseas.
The hotel and leisure sector is particularly sensitive to the effects of COVID-19. Significant challenges have presented themselves in consequence of myriad factors, such as Governmental lockdown, social distancing requirements and customer confidence. Contact our COVID-19 working group of in-house specialists to discuss where we can help you.
- What our group can advise on
Ownership and investment
- The structuring of investments and funding of schemes
- Acquisitions and disposals of leisure assets
- Hotel Management Agreements, Franchise Agreements, NDAs
- Portfolio acquisitions and asset management
- Brand protection
- Ticketing terms and conditions
- Customer or supplier contracts
- Employment issues
- Franchise and F&B agreements
Construction and development
- Development, construction and refurbishment contracts
- Construction dispute resolution
- Extensive experience
We are the main legal advisers for Travelodge Hotels Ltd and have acted for Shearings Hotels, N H Hoteles and Manhattan Loft Corporation. We have acted on hotel schemes involving Hilton, IHG, Sofitel, Etap, Ibis, Four Seasons, Jefferson, Radisson Edwardian, Ramada, Crowne Plaza and Mondrian hotels.
We have advised on numerous venue management and ancillary agreements including ticketing and F&B agreements for Manchester's International concert venue, Ticketmaster, Newcastle Arena and BFI Imax.
Here are some examples:
- Manhattan Loft Corporation: Construction and property work for residential and hotel tower adjacent to Olympic Games site at Stratford.
- KTB Asset Management: £55m mezzanine loan facility to refinance the acquisition of the Grosvenor House Hotel on Park Lane.
- UK Hotel Chain: Successful defence of claims for damages in excess of US$50m arising from alleged breaches of a hotel management contract.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments: Acquisition of the long leasehold interest in the Legoland Windsor Resort.
- National Westminster Bank PLC & AIB Group (UK) PLC: Development financing for the conversion of Bow Street Magistrates Court into key luxury lifestyle hotel.
- Village Hotels: Development of new “resort” style hotels in Portsmouth and Bristol.
- That Group: 130-bed Hilton Hotel as a part of a mixed-use development at Torwood Street, Torquay.
- Travelodge: Principal advisors for 16 years. Work ranging from outsourcing contracts to their national acquisitions.
- Battersea Power Station: Development and letting of numerous leisure and mixed-use units.
- Lone Star Funds: £250m investment in two portfolios of Mercure branded hotels to LRC Hospitality.
- The Malkai: ITC status and the hotel agreements for a five-star hotel to be managed by GMH.
- Ennismore: Acting on the acquisition and refurbishment of Eynsham Hall in Oxfordshire, as well as the development and refurbishment of numerous Hoxton hotels in London and throughout Europe.
Our hotels and leisure team has significant industry knowledge which we have built over many years working with owners, developers, funders and operators.