Ross is a Partner in our Data team overseeing data work across the firm. He is a qualified data protection practitioner and holds a masters in IT and telecommunications law with distinction focussed on data privacy and the General Data Protection Regulation. Ross takes a pragmatic and commercial approach to his data advice with a financial services client noting that Ross has “a total grasp of the GDPR” and is “able to make it understandable and interesting”.
Most recent experience has included:
- advising a range of Building Societies on GDPR compliance including development of fair processing notices, supplier contract negotiations, marketing consent strategies and staff training;
- delivering strategic data governance advice arising from the GDPR to a global utilities provider including providing management training, advice on the appointment of Data Protection Officers, and advising on data processor contracts;
- supporting clients on fair processing notification requirements involved in asset refinancing;
- providing data commercialisation advice for a national brand using customer profile data; and
- advising on international data transfers for a range of oil and gas services companies.
Ross was also appointed to advise one of the world's largest cloud providers negotiating complex customer agreements with financial services customers together with specialist data protection training. This gives Ross a unique insight to cloud contracting issues relevant to many organisations migrating their platforms to the cloud.
- Year qualified - 2009
- PDP - Practitioner’s Certificate in Data Protection (Dec 2014)
- University of Strathclyde - Degree of LLM in IT and Telecommunications Law with Distinction (July 2013)
- University of Aberdeen - Degree of LLB with First Class Honours (2006)