Based in Aberdeen, Ross is a Partner in our Commercial Services team supporting a range of clients including many well-known brand names on their day to day commercial needs.
He advises commercial contracting, intellectual property licensing, IT outsourcing, and focusses on data protection compliance having advised clients for over 10 years on data protection issues that arise. He is a qualified data protection practitioner and holds a masters in IT and telecommunications law with distinction focussed on the GDPR.
He has a particular expertise in the oil and gas services sector, advising clients on the terms of services agreements, IP licensing and collaborations. He has advised a number of innovation centres and clients on contracting methodology for industry collaborations, drawing on his experience following time advising OGUK / LOGIC. As the sector faces the challenges of energy transition and the need to harness technology, Ross is well placed to support clients in licensing strategies.
Data Protection Compliance Experience
- Advisor to boohoo Group on ad hoc data protection issues including data sharing issues arising from collaborations, delivering strategic support for their GDPR compliance programme.
- Advising SGN in the development of an innovative contract playbook for data sharing contracts.
- Lead data advisor to a FTSE100 financial services client on the development of an online business banking app – advising on customer journeys, terms and conditions of use and data mapping.
- Advisor to a FTSE100 energy sector client in managing complex data subject access requests that arise in their business.
- Advised on the roll out and negotiation of an international HR software platform provider's data processor agreements with their customer base that were required as a result of the GDPR. This involved negotiating hundreds of customer agreements with well-known household brands.
- Leading Binding Corporate Rules applications for two FTSE100 clients.
Commercial Contract and Intellectual Property Experience
- Advisor to the global provider of well control courses, IWCF on day to day commercial matters that arise including commercial contracts and accreditation agreements.
- Undertaking an Intellectual Property Audit for health and safety innovation company, Novellus Solutions and advising on consultancy arrangements.
- Advisor to a range of IT services companies in the oil and gas sector including supporting them on IP licensing and collaboration arrangements and basic terms and conditions of sale.
- New Statesman - “A worrying prelude”: What the ECJ’s Privacy Shield ruling means for a UK data adequacy deal
- DIGIT - Data Protection Worries Dominate the Launch of NHS COVID-19 App
- Energy Voice - AI vs data privacy: OGTC flagship event goes online
- REBA - Addleshaw Goddard is “Proud From The Inside Out” as D&I Partner Ross McKenzie explains
- Wealth Briefing
- Professional Memberships
- Member of the Scottish Enterprise IP Audit Panel
- Member of the OGUK Cyber Security Forum