Ross is a Partner in our Commercial Services team advising on commercial contracts, IP, and IT matters, and focusses on data privacy compliance.
He works for a range FTSE100 and 250 companies and is a qualified data protection practitioner. He holds a masters in IT and telecommunications law with distinction focussed on data privacy and the General Data Protection Regulation. Ross takes a pragmatic and commercial approach to his data advice with a financial services client noting that Ross has “a total grasp of the GDPR” and is “able to make it understandable and interesting”.
Ross has a particular expertise advising on data processor matters having advised cloud providers of services and an internationally recognised software services provider.
He is regularly invited to contribute to data events including most recently speaking at the Law Society of Scotland's Technology Conference, Oil & Gas UK's Cyber Security Conference, and the Retail Industry Leader's Association's Annual Retail Law Conference in Austin, Texas.
Ross' recent experience includes:
- Advising an international software services provider on data processor agreements including negotiating on liability terms and scope of responsibilities
- Providing data commercialisation advice for a FTSE100 consumer facing organisation using customer profile data across a range of services (including advising on end user terms and reseller arrangements)
- Negotiating data sharing arrangements for a FTSE100 bank
- Providing strategic support to a leading household supermarket chain on handling data subject access requests
- Advising on Binding Corporate Rules applications for a FTSE100 industrials client
- Advising a leading household brand on marketing consents
- Providing international data transfers for a range of oil and gas services companies
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- PDP Accredited Data Protection Specialist
- Director of Aberdeen Foyer, a social engagement charity in Aberdeen.