Marie is an Associate in our Commercial Litigation team in Leeds. Marie has experience of a wide range of complex, high value disputes, including shareholder disputes, contractual claims and breach of confidence claims. She is familiar with all forms of alternative dispute resolution, and has supported clients through both mediations and without prejudice meetings to successfully resolve proceedings.
Marie has experience in a number of sectors including retail and energy, but has particular expertise in the health sector and has acted on a breadth of health disputes ranging from the theft of pharmaceuticals at a warehouse by an employee of a security provider, procurement challenges in respect of multi-million pound diagnostic contracts awarded by NHS England and complex breach of contract disputes between private entities operating in the health sector.
- advising a pharmaceutical wholesaler in respect of claims by a pharmacy group concerning alleged unpaid discounts and rebates
- advising a diagnostic company in respect of several procurement challenges regarding multi-million pound contracts awarded by NHS England
- advising a retail client in respect of a contractual dispute including a complex jurisdictional challenge, where the client was successful in establishing that the English Court had jurisdiction to hear the dispute
- advising a major engineering business on pursuing and defending claims arising in its supply chain
- acting for a consumer credit reporting agency in connection with defending an earn-out claim pursuant to a share purchase agreement
- acting in a number of claims involving allegations of breach of confidence, including in the renewable energy market, and in the health sector, with particular experience of the management of confidential information during proceedings
- advising on a complex, high value shareholder dispute involving allegations of dishonest assistance, knowingly receiving trust property and breach of fiduciary duties.
"Associate Marie [Matthews] gives excellent advice in a timely manner, helps to plan client's long-term strategies, gives pragmatic advice and at the same time, comprehensively covers the technical detail so as to minimise risk."