Alex is a Legal Director in the Commercial Litigation team in London. He specialises in commercial litigation, civil fraud and financial crime advising on high-value, cross-border disputes for a wide range of clients including FTSE 100 companies, banks, corporates, financial institutions and high-net-worth individuals. Alex advises on all manner of complex disputes including fraud, financial crime, contractual disputes, e-commerce and regulatory compliance, complex investigations and mis-selling claims (in relation to financial products). He has extensive High Court experience including acting in some of the most high-profile and pioneering cases to come before the English Courts in recent years and is a recognised expert in injunctive relief (including worldwide freezing injunctions and proprietary injunctions) and asset tracing and recovery.
Alex has previously undertaken secondments with two major high-street banks and spent two years working as an in-house lawyer at the Royal Bank of Scotland Group in its Disputes & Financial Crime Legal team managing significant and wide-ranging fraud and financial crime disputes.
Experience includes the following:
- Acting in a £150 million High Court claim for a London based asset management company seeking recovery of £150m of misappropriated assets hidden in complex trust and corporate structures in multiple jurisdictions around the world including the British Virgin Islands, Turkey, Switzerland, the US, Macedonia and Hong Kong (having first successfully obtained a worldwide freezing and proprietary injunction against the Defendants in the English High Court)
- Acting for Boris Berezovsky in his multi-billion pound claims against the estate of his former business partner Arkadi Patarkatsishvili and the Russian oligarch Vasily Anisimov
- Acting in a complex cross-border contractual dispute involving high risk jurisdictions (Iran) including successfully obtaining a multi-million pound High Court worldwide freezing injunction against the First Defendant
- Acting for a major high-street bank successfully defending multiple urgent High Court injunction hearings arising from a complex customer exit and subsequent freezing of accounts under the Proceeds of Crime Act (following receipt of suspected proceeds of crime from the US via the Cayman Islands).
- Acting for a major pharmaceutical company in a multi-million pound High Court claim in deceit and unjust enrichment against one of its pharmaceutical suppliers
- Acting for a global airline in a successive high-value and complex contractual disputes relating to leasing and sub-leasing of aircraft and service agreements with various service providers
- Regularly acting for multiple high-street banks in connection with high-value Authorised Push Payment frauds and unauthorised fraud payments from "account take-over", "impersonation" or rogue director frauds.