Ryan is a Legal Director in our commercial dispute resolution team. Ryan focuses on commercial dispute resolution with a particular emphasis on procurement, transport, and outsourcing disputes, acting for clients in both the private and the public sector.
Ryan deals with a wide range of commercial disputes through the court process, including procurement challenges, warranty and indemnity claims and complex contractual disputes. His work also includes dispute avoidance and risk management, assisting with contract negotiations / terminations, exit strategy and payments, together with supporting project management teams on the day to day management of large scale and long term agreements.
Ryan is experienced in resolving disputes by way of without prejudice negotiations and Alternative Dispute Resolution, including mediations and has run cases to trial where necessary.
Examples of Ryan's recent experience include:
- advising both contracting authorities and bidder clients in relation to public procurement challenges, in particular in the transport and health sectors
- advising the Department for Transport at trial in its successful defence in the 2019 Rail Franchising Litigation claims brought by Stagecoach and other claimants to the award of the West Coast Partnership  EWHC 1568 (TCC)
- acting for High Speed Two (HS2) Limited on its successful defence of a challenge brought by Bechtel Limited to the award of the construction partner contract for the construction of Old Oak Common Station  EWHC 458 (TCC)
- advising a successful bidder on the protection of their confidential information in a procurement challenge brought by an unsuccessful bidder
- advising the purchasers of a significant corporation on warranty claims against the sellers under the terms of the Sale Purchase Agreement.
- acting for the buyers of a large travel business on the defence of claims relating to the proper operation of "Earn-out" provisions under the sale agreements.
- acting for a national logistics company in bringing a claim for breach of confidence against an international competitor and previous customer
- acting for a major utilities company in defending a claim from a supplier in the ECO energy saving market and bringing a counterclaim in excess of £1.5m in relation to regulatory energy saving obligations
- acting for and Indian mining company in relation to a dispute to be determined at arbitration with a Dubai based purchaser and shipper
- Joint author of the UK Chapter of The Government Procurement Review.
- Joint author of "Remedies and the Green Paper" Public Procurement Law Review Issue 3 (2021); P.P.L.R. 2021, 3, 133-152
- Professional Memberships
- Member of the Procurement Lawyers Association