Ryan is a Legal Director in our commercial dispute resolution team. Ryan focuses on commercial dispute resolution with a particular emphasis on procurement, transport, and outsourcing disputes, acting for clients in both the private and the public sector.
Ryan deals with a wide range of commercial disputes through the court process, including procurement challenges, warranty and indemnity claims, Judicial Review challenges and complex contractual disputes. His work also includes dispute avoidance and risk management, assisting with contract negotiations / terminations, exit strategy and payments, together with supporting project management teams on the day to day management of large scale and long term agreements.
Ryan is experienced in resolving disputes by way of without prejudice negotiations and Alternative Dispute Resolution, including mediations and has run cases to trial where necessary.
Examples of Ryan's recent experience include:
- advising on public law matters and acting in relation to judicial review proceedings
- advising both contracting authorities and bidder clients in relation to public procurement challenges, in particular in the transport and health sectors, most recently advising the Department for Transport in its successful defence in the 2019 Rail Franchising Litigation
- advising successful bidders on the protection of their confidential information in any procurement challenge brought by an unsuccessful bidder
- acting for a national logistics company in bringing a claim for breach of confidence against an international competitor and previous customer
- acting for a major utilities company in defending a claim from a supplier in the ECO energy saving market and bringing a counterclaim in excess of £1.5m in relation to regulatory energy saving obligations
- acting for an Indian mining company in relation to a dispute to be determined at arbitration with a Dubai based purchaser and shipper.
- Joint author of the UK Chapter of The Government Procurement Review.
- Joint author of "Remedies and the Green Paper" Public Procurement Law Review Issue 3 (2021); P.P.L.R. 2021, 3, 133-152
- Professional Memberships
- Member of the Procurement Lawyers Association