Our clients tell us it is critical that their lawyers understand their business markets as well as the complex laws that regulate their sector.
Addleshaw Goddard’s dedicated Corporate Insurance Group has detailed insurance market knowledge and extensive experience in advising on all aspects of non-contentious insurance in the corporate, commercial and regulatory areas. Members of our team have also worked for insurers or insurance intermediaries in their previous employment or on secondment.
Insurance is a key practice area at AG and, as well as regarding ourselves as a leading practice in the sector, we have received industry recognition from the likes of Chambers UK, which says: "Clients appreciate the interest the team takes in meeting their individual needs: They're interested in our business and don't treat us as just another client". Many of these clients are household names.
We have substantial experience in both general (companies and Lloyd's market) and life insurance and we regularly advise on the following:
- Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Restructurings and capital raisings
- Establishing insurance companies, Lloyd’s groups, insurance brokers, independent financial advisers and insurance intermediaries
- Portfolio and statutory business transfers (under Part VII FSMA) and the novation of insurance books of business
- Commercial insurance agreements including binding authorities, claims handling authorities, reinsurance agreements and commutation agreements
- Distribution and affinity agreements
- Outsourcing arrangements
- Insurance regulatory matters
- Insurance and re-insurance policy wordings
- Run-off matters including run-off agreements and schemes of arrangement
- Captives and mutuals
- Clients and experience
We have worked with:
- AIG on its affinity deal with Manchester United, including advice on worldwide branding rights for use in connection with consumer financial services and products
- AIG on a variety of commercial contracts, including distribution agreements, binding authorities and claims handling agreements, and captive and reinsurance agreements
- AEGON UK on its acquisition of Positive Solutions and the acquisition and set up of Origen
- Capita on its acquisition of CMGL
- Dunedin on the acquisition of Gissings insurance brokers
- QBE on its terms of business and outsourcing arrangements
- A multinational general insurance compan on a number of distribution agreements and reinsurance agreements