Mike is head of the Firm's Manchester office. He has spent more than 30 years working on a wide range of commercial transactions in the Health sector including a secondment with North West Strategic Health Authority. Mike is a non-executive director of a NHS Trust and Chair of Festival Medical Services, a charity that provides healthcare to festival goers at Glastonbury, WOMAD and Reading and which was awarded the Queens Award for Voluntary Services in 2020.
Mike has worked for clients as diverse as Government Departments, NHS trusts, local authorities, independent sector providers, overseas investors, UK clearing banks, project finance banks and contractors. Mike's experience is centred on transactional healthcare, commercial contracting, mergers and acquisitions, outsourcings, joint ventures, spin outs, turnarounds and restructuring.
Mike's experience includes:
- Advising Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust on the potential spin out of Fleet Solutions, a division of the Trust and the largest salary sacrifice fleet vehicle provider in the UK (Project Oswald).
- Advising on the mergers, acquisitions and demergers of NHS Trusts at Trafford, Liverpool Community, North Cumbria, Essex (3 Trusts), Derby & Burton, Cumbria Mental Health.
- Advising on the insourcing of pharmacy services and establishing wholly owned subsidiaries at Lancashire and Derby.
- Advising a Central London based Independent Hospital Group on its contracting for capacity with the NHS for COVID-19.
- Devising the wholly owned subsidiary model for NHS Foundation Trusts with Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, establishing NHFML and subsequently establishing wholly owned subsidiaries and LLPs at Clatterbridge, Blackpool, Royal Free London, South London & Maudsley, Lancashire Teaching and Lancashire Care, York, North Tees and Derby; including advice on Teckal, procurement, state aid and golden shares.
- Contributor to Butterworths PFI Handbook
- Editor on NHS and health for Lexis Nexis
- Year Qualified
- University of Durham - BA Hons: Classics, 1982 – 1985
- The Manchester Metropolitan University - Common Professional Exam/ Law Finals/ Field Of Study - Law, 1985 – 1987
- Professional memberships
- Non Executive Director - North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Non Executive Director and Trustee - The Factory Youth Zone
- Chair: Non Executive Director and Trustee - Festival Medical Services Limited
- Chair: Non Executive Director and Trustee - Manchester Concert Hall Limited