Mike has spent more than 35 years working on a wide range of commercial and transformational transactions in and across public services having established and led our Projects practice for 20 years. Mike led our Manchester office between 2018 and 2021, is Co-Chair of our Global Health Sector Group and is Co-Chair of our Government Contracting Group. He has served the NHS on a number of non-executive roles for more than 10 years and served as Chair of Festival Medical Services, a charity that provides healthcare to festival goers at Glastonbury and which was awarded the Queens Award for Voluntary Services in 2020, as well as Chair of the Bridgewater Concert Hall in Manchester for a number of years.
Mike has worked for clients as diverse as Government Departments, NHS trusts, local authorities, independent sector providers, overseas investors, UK clearing banks, project finance banks and contractors. Mike's experience is centred on transactional healthcare, regeneration projects procurements, commercial contracting, mergers and acquisitions, outsourcings, joint ventures, spin outs, turnarounds and restructuring.
Mike sits on the Steering Committee of the GM Academy which supports talented lawyers across Greater Manchester develop their technical skills and build networks.
Mike's experience includes:
- advising on regeneration schemes across Greater Manchester, most notably at Ancoats for Manchester Life, UA92, Stretford and Altrincham for Trafford Council and Prestwich and Bury Millgate for Bury Council
- advising on the mergers, acquisitions and demergers of NHS Trusts at Trafford, Liverpool Community, North Cumbria, Essex (3 Trusts), Derby & Burton, Cumbria Mental Health
- advising a Central London based Independent Hospital Group on a ground breaking partnership with clinical consultants
- devising the wholly owned subsidiary model for NHS Foundation Trusts with Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, establishing NHFML and subsequently establishing wholly owned subsidiaries and LLPs at Clatterbridge, Blackpool, Royal Free London, South London & Maudsley, Lancashire Teaching and Lancashire Care, York, North Tees and Derby
- advising NHS Foundation Trusts on the spin outs of a number of businesses operating as divisions of Trusts.
- Contributor to Butterworths PFI Handbook
- Editor on NHS and health for Lexis Nexis
- Professional memberships
- Non Executive Director – Warrington and Halton Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Non Executive Director - North West Ambulance NHS Trust
- Non Executive Director and Trustee - The Factory Youth Zone
- Chair: Non Executive Director and Trustee - Festival Medical Services Limited
- Chair: Non Executive Director and Trustee - Manchester Concert Hall Limited
- Non Executive Director – Willow Park Housing Association