Caoilfhionn has an established commercial litigation practice with a standout reputation for client service. She has successfully represented Irish and international clients in a wide range of business disputes before the Irish Courts, with a focus on the Commercial Court, over the eighteen years she has been with the firm.
Caoilfhionn is an all-rounder but her practice has a particular focus on high profile property related litigation, professional negligence claims and financial services litigation. She has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution. Caoilfhionn also advises on both the implementation and defence of insurance proceedings.
Recent Experience includes advising
- A large professional services firm on the defence of a negligence claim valued at €800M.
- An international retailer in Commercial Court injunction proceedings arising out of the redevelopment of a landmark Dublin shopping centre.
- A pillar bank in defending a claim brought by a high profile individual in respect of the purchase of a substantial property by the Bank.
- The liquidators of two separate Cayman Island hedge funds in large-scale professional negligence claims against a third party service provider valued at €280M and €600M respectively.
- Irving Picard as Trustee for the SIPA Liquidation of Bernard Madoff Investment Securities LLC and Bernard Madoff on all aspects of Irish law including potential recovery against Irish domiciled entities, recognition of US Federal Law in Ireland and monitoring proceedings in the Irish courts relating to recovery claims by Madoff investors.
Allied Irish Banks plc, Bank of Ireland, Grant Thornton, Inditex, Irving Picard as Trustee for the SIPA Liquidation of Bernard Madoff Investment Securities LLC, Marks & Spencer, PwC, Q-Park, Smiggle, Tommy Hilfiger, Marks & Spencer.
“Caoilfhionn Ní Chuanacháin is an emerging dispute resolution specialist with a strong track record in the insurance sector…she also impresses in property disputes, professional negligence and financial services cases.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“A standout partner that I work with…Caoilfhionn brings a strategic perspective coupled with a comprehensive grasp of details…strong technical knowledge and use this to ensure that the focus is on the most critical issues.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“She can see around corners in complex litigation…her client management skills are excellent. She is responsive and listens to the client in terms of the approach and strategy we want to take.”
Chambers Europe, 2021
“I would single Caoilfhionn Ní Chuanacháin out as a star. She never fails to impress. She is client focused and will always go above and beyond to ensure the best possible outcome…she is an excellent litigator – aggressive in protecting her client’s interests yet practical in seeking to secure cost-effective results.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
“Caoilfhionn stands out for commerciality and the ability to take a pragmatic approach to issues…fantastic at cutting through the issues to get to the point and in bringing the client through the process. More than anything she is available and you know that you are in safe hands when she is representing you.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
“Caoilfhionn is steely in pursuit of her client’s objectives…she is extremely approachable and receptive to ideas from the client.”
Chambers Europe, 2020
‘Caoilfhionn communicates in a concise and clear manner and always displays persistence in the face of challenging and complex issues’
Chambers Europe, 2019
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Admitted as a Solicitor in 2007
- Diploma in Commercial Conveyancing 2006
- LL.M, University of London 2003
- Bachelor of Civil Law (International), University College Dublin 2001 (& DePaul University College of Law, Chicago)
- One Step Closer to Class Action Suits in Ireland >
- Frustration of Leases in the Context of Covid-19? >
- Annual Report of the Supreme Court 2020: A Year in Review >
- A New Hope - Business Interruption Claims and Covid-19 >
- Review of Civil Justice Group Report >
- The Force Awakens - Business Interruption Claims and Covid-19 >
- Contracts in the age of Covid-19 >
- Publication of Code of Conduct between Landlords and Tenants for Commercial Rates >
- Virtual / Remote Court Hearings in the time of Covid-19 >