David leads the corporate team in Scotland. He has significant experience in corporate and banking work, including M&A, investment, corporate finance and acquisition finance. David has a particularly strong focus on private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies. Over the last year, he has advised on several deals including acting for Souter Investments, Cairngorm Capital and BGF on both investments by, and disposals from the portfolios of, these investors.
David is a trusted adviser known for delivering advice which is critical to clients' business growth which is proven by his record of acting for growth private equity businesses, like Souter, Cairngorm Capital and BGF, and fast growth businesses like Commsworld.
His expertise includes the oil and gas sector, particularly advising oilfield supply and service companies. Prior to joining the firm, David worked as in-house counsel at BP in Aberdeen.
- Acting for Commsworld and its principal shareholders in the investment into it by LDC
- Acting for activpayroll and its principal shareholders in the investment into it by Tenzing
- Acting for Souter Investments (the investment office for Sir Brian Souter) in its investment into Transport2
- Acting for Cairngorm Capital in its acquisition of Sentry Doors
- Acting in the sale of Delta Marine Services to French acquirer, Jifmar
- Multiple investment deals for Housing Growth Partnership
- Acting for BGF and others in the disposal of Jumpstart to Visiativ
- Acting for Motion Software and its principal shareholder in the sale to Canadian-owned Jonas Software
"He is easy to work with, good at building rapport with the client and gives clear and well-structured advice"
Chambers UK, 2019
"A respected lawyer who is good to deal with… strong instincts and good knowledge"
Chambers UK, 2018
"Leader in his field"
Chambers UK, 2017
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- LLB Law, University of Edinburgh
- Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Edinburgh
- Rijksuniversiteit, Leiden, The Netherlands
- Year qualified - 1997