Thomas specialises in advising clients on all types of contentious matters arising from construction and engineering projects, including acting for owners, developers, funders, contractors and sub-contractors. Having previously worked in-house at a leading European engineering consultancy, Thomas takes a keen interest in in large engineering and infrastructure projects. Thomas also provides Risk Management advice to a number of clients in respect of Construction related issues during the lifecycle of the project.
Thomas has experience of all dispute processes; litigation, international and domestic arbitration, adjudication and bespoke dispute avoidance forums. Thomas also spends a significant amount of time advising clients how to avoid disputes and resolve issues without recourse to formal dispute procedures.
- Advising an institutional investment fund in relation to a £2.5m claim in the TCC against a contractor in relation to a defective warehouse concrete slab floors at three of its warehouse units in Yorkshire.
- Acting for an NHS Trust in the TCC in respect of a claim where the value exceeds £125m against a contractor in relation to defects at a hospital.
- Advising a Leading Pipework Engineer in relation to 3 separate adjudications and an arbitration before the London Court of International Arbitration arising from the construction of a £600m energy plant.
- Advising a number of NHS Trusts in relation to construction defects disputes (in both adjudication and court proceedings) in their portfolio of properties.
- Providing risk management advice in respect of defects and final account negotiation advice to an Energy Employer in relation to a £66m on-shore wind farm project.
- Successfully defending an Employer in an adjudication claim for £2.3m arising from the termination of a Project where there were arguments around which form of contract was in place.
- Advising a Private Hospital in relation to disputes relating to construction defects at a new build extension to the hospital. Also advising the Private Hospital in respect of a claim for cost overrun on the build project.
- Advising a Local Council in relation to a number of defects claims arising from the Building Schools For the Future programme and advising in respect of construction related matters in its wider property portfolio.
- Advising the operator of a high speed rail concession in respect of construction defects on its assets and acting for it in proceedings in respect of a £5m claim.
- The Expert Witness  (ISSN 2397-2768): "TCC Criticises "Partisan" Experts Again"
- Lexology :"Courts Resist Taking A Further Leap Of Good Faith"
- Professional Memberships
- Member of Lincoln's Inn.
- Member of the Society of Construction Lawyers
“Thomas has worked closely with the Council on a number of complex construction contract issues and his advice has always been cogent, succinct, helpful and pragmatic”, Roger Kirk, Service Director – Fixed Assets, Luton Borough Council
"Thomas has provided the Trust with highly valued advice and guidance during a complicated construction dispute. Throughout Thomas has been sensitive to the needs of the Trust and given clear, timely and comprehensive advice.” Paul Dunn, Executive Director of Finance – Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust