Jan leads our Private Funds Group that brings together a team of multi-disciplinary private funds experts. His particular focus is on counselling asset and fund managers. Jan regularly advises on fund establishment and structuring matters, product distribution and marketing, investment management negotiation and regulatory change implementation. He also advises investors – including pension funds, funds of funds, SWFs and family offices – on their investments into private funds. Jan has a particular focus on counselling GPs on the launch of impact and ESG driven strategies. He is AG's co-lead partner for LQBTQ+ inclusion.
Jan regularly speaks at industry network events and delivers funds and asset management focused training. He is a member of the public affairs committee of INREV, the leading pan-European industry association of European real estate fund managers.
He has acted for a broad range of private fund clients including New Forests, Actis, abrdn, Aviva Investors, JPMorgan Asset Management, YFM Equity Partners, Gravis, Bluefield, Agathos Management, Par Equity and HSBC Alternatives.
Prior to joining AG, Jan has served as general counsel of Securis Investment Partners, as a senior lawyer at the Financial Conduct Authority and at a magic circle law firm in London and Luxembourg.
- ETFs – A snapshot of legal issues (co-author, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law)
- LPA Anatomised (2012 edition) – Chapter on Indemnification and Exculpation Terms (co-author, Private Equity International)
- German - fluent
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
Recent experience includes, advising:
- A leading independent GP on the formation of a pan-European renewable energy infrastructure fund domiciled in Luxembourg
- A global asset manager on the establishment of numerous fund structures, and on the deployment of capital commitments exceeding $6bn across a range of investment funds including private equity, real estate, debt, infrastructure and other alternative asset classes
- New Forests on the establishment of a Singapore VCC fund with target fund size of USD 500 million, investing in African forestry assets and operations and cornerstoned by DFIs
- Actis on its takeover of several emerging market funds previously managed by the Abraaj Group (representing over £5bn of assets under management)
- Par Fund Management Limited on the establishment of two forestry investment funds, one structured as a segregated managed account for Aviva Investors as part of its “net zero” strategy
- An independent Infrastructure GP on the carry scheme arrangements for its long dated European infrastructure income fund
- Agathos Management LLP on its second fund, raising in excess of £70 million for investment in UK SMEs
- YFM Private Equity on the formation of various buyout funds and associated carry arrangments
- A global asset manager on its ESG stewardship report
- Global strategic advisory firm Hakluyt & Co on the formation of Hakluyt Capital LP and successful first close, making investments in high growth technology companies.