Canelle is a Managing Associate in Addleshaw Goddard's Commercial Disputes team based in London. She has experience principally of commercial arbitration matters, dealing with a range of high value disputes across various jurisdictions, and has also dealt with investment treaty matters, acting for both investors and States. She additionally has experience of complex commercial litigation and regulatory work. Canelle works for a broad range of clients (including private companies, public organisations and high-net-worth individuals), mainly in the energy, oil & gas and transports & logistics sectors.
Canelle is qualified in England & Wales, is a native French speaker and has French law experience, and speaks both Italian and Spanish to a high level.
Canelle completed a year-long secondment in the commercial disputes team in Addleshaw Goddard's Hong Kong office in 2017-18.
Commercial & Investment Treaty Arbitration
- Defending the Islamic Republic of Pakistan in an arbitration brought by a Saudi investor under the OIC Investment Agreement, relating to gas tariffs applicable to a steel production facility and with an approximate value of USD 420m
- Acting for a company owned by a UK Government Department in an expedited LCIA arbitration in relation to a £2bn wind farm project
- Advising a West African IT company in an LCIA claim for breach of contract against a West African central Bank, in relation to a complex technology project. The claim has an approximate value of USD 500m
- Representing a Ghanaian downstream oil and gas company against multinational lending institutions, in relation to a failure to provide financing towards the construction of a petroleum storage facility
- Boosom Boonyanit v Malaysia: assisting in a claim against Malaysia under the 1987 ASEAN Agreement in relation to judicial conduct as regards a real estate investment fraud
- Working alongside French co-counsel in an LCIA arbitration for a North African logistics client, considering a French language contract governed by English law.
Commercial Litigation & Regulatory Work
- Acting for a UK Government agency in the defence of a £250m compensation claim under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 in the High Court
- Acting in several disputes (in Hong Kong and the UK) concerning issues of director and/or shareholder misconduct, including contractual claims and unfair prejudice proceedings. Preparing applications for injunctive relief in this context
- Advising an international car parking provider on a court claim for, and expert determination in relation to, a contractual breach of indemnity and on the simultaneous defence of a connected claim
- Obtaining freezing orders and Norwich Pharmacal orders on behalf of a multinational aircraft manufacturer client to prevent the dissipation of stolen funds
- Representing a Hong Kong regulator in a potential dispute with an accounting firm and conducting an in-depth review of its internal policies and standard documents.
- "Third Party Funding in Africa", Addleshaw Goddard Africa newsletter (June 2018)
- "English Commercial Court considers the principles relating to setting aside permission to enforce an arbitral award", Addleshaw Goddard International Arbitration Quarterly Review (September 2017)
- "Angola and the New York Convention", Addleshaw Goddard Africa newsletter (October 2016)
- French - fluent
- Italian - good command
- Spanish - good command
- Professional memberships
- The Young International Arbitration Group (of the LCIA)
- The Young Arbitrators Forum (of the ICC)
- HK45 (of the HKIAC)