Mark has over 13 years’ experience of complex cross-border fraud and high value commercial litigation, acting for various clients including FTSE 100 companies, banks, hedge funds, private companies and individuals. Mark is familiar with obtaining, executing and challenging worldwide freezing orders and search and seizure orders. He has acted for and against parties based in the Middle East, Russia and the former Commonwealth of Independent States countries and most of his cases have an international element.
Mark has worked on five of The Lawyer's "top cases" of the year lists (2010 to 2015) and was recommended as "bright, hardworking and committed" in Legal 500 2016.
Mark is also known as an expert in the field of electronic disclosure and document review and the related practical and legal issues (including privilege, cross-border data protection rules and privacy regulations).
- Acting for one of the largest property development companies in the Middle East and a Bahraini investment bank in a $1 billion High Court action involving allegations of conspiracy and breach of confidence
- Acting for GlaxoSmithKline in defence of a large product liability group action in relation its antidepressant, Seroxat
- Acting for Boris Berezovsky in:
- His claims against the estate and family of his former business partner, Badri Patarkatsishvili, the Russian oligarch Vasily Anisimov and a number of related parties and fiduciaries
- His multibillion-dollar claim against Roman Abramovich for breach of contract, breach of trust and intimidation arising out of the creation of the Russian oil company Sibneft and the Russian aluminium company RUSAL
- The successful discharge of a worldwide freezing injunction obtained by his former partner
- Obtaining freezing and search orders against a director of a leading hedge fund to recover the misappropriated proceeds of a private equity investment in Russia
- Acting for a FTSE 100 financial institution in relation to its response to an FCA regulatory investigation into allegations of mortgage mis-selling
- Acting for a leading Middle Eastern broadcaster in a complex fraud claim against the client’s former directors
- Obtaining summary judgment on a $10 million English Commercial Court claim for a global provider of telecoms infrastructure
- Law Society qualification date: September 2004
- The College of Law (now The University of Law), London – Legal Practice Course with commendation
- Exeter University – LLB (Hons)
Legal 500 UK (2017) – Product Liability: Defendant
"seasoned fraud litigator"
Legal 500 UK (2017) – Fraud: Civil
"'Bright, hardworking and committed' Legal Director Mark Chesher is recommended"
Legal 500 UK (2016)