Mark has over 15 years' experience of complex high value commercial and cross-border fraud litigation, acting for FTSE100 companies, banks, hedge funds and ultra-high net worth individuals. Mark is familiar with obtaining, executing and challenging injunctions, worldwide freezing orders and search and seizure orders. He has acted for and against parties based in the Middle East, Russia and the former CIS countries, and most of his cases have an international element.
Mark worked as a lead associate on six of The Lawyer's "top cases of the year" (2010 to 2020) and is recommended in Legal 500 for Commercial Litigation, Civil Fraud and Product Liability Litigation..
Mark is known as an expert in the field of electronic disclosure and document review and the related practical and legal issues (including privilege, cross-border data protection rules and privacy regulations).
- Acting for GlaxoSmithKline in its successful defence of a large product liability group action in relation its antidepressant, Seroxat
- Acting for Dixons Carphone plc in its dispute with McAfee which involved an interim injunction and a claim for damages in excess of $30 million.
- Advising a UK insurance company in its claim for unlawful termination and related breaches of an IT services contract against a software company in the English Commercial Court.
- Acting for one of the largest property development companies in the Middle East and a Bahraini investment bank in a US$1 billion Commercial Court claim involving allegations of conspiracy and breach of confidence
- Obtaining freezing and search orders against a director of a leading hedge fund to recover the misappropriated proceeds of a private equity investment in Russia
- Acting for a FTSE 100 financial institution in relation to its response to an FCA regulatory investigation into allegations of mortgage mis-selling
- Acting for Boris Berezovsky in his US$6 billion Commercial Court claim against Roman Abramovich concerning Russian oil and aluminium assets and in his related US$3 billion Chancery Division claims against the estate of the Georgian billionaire, Arkady Patarkatsishvili and others
- Obtaining freezing and search and seizure orders against an individual director and employee of a leading hedge fund, who misappropriated the fruits of an investment
- Acting for a Dubai based broadcaster in a High Court fraud claim against former directors
- Obtaining summary judgment in a US$10m Commercial Court claim against a listed Kuwaiti company
Recommended in Legal 500 UK since 2016 for civil fraud, commercial litigation and product liability.
"Next Generation Partner"
Legal 500 UK (2019) – Product Liability: Defendant
"A lawyer's lawyer and great to work with"
Legal 500 UK (2018)
Legal 500 UK (2017) – Product Liability: Defendant
"seasoned fraud litigator"
Legal 500 UK (2017) – Fraud: Civil
"'Bright, hardworking and committed' Legal Director Mark Chesher is recommended"
Legal 500 UK (2016)