Mark has over 15 years’ experience of complex cross-border fraud and high value commercial litigation, acting for various clients including FTSE 100 companies, banks, hedge funds, private companies and individuals. Mark is familiar with obtaining, executing and challenging worldwide freezing orders and search and seizure orders.
Mark also has considerable experience and expertise in product liability litigation (including group litigation) and product safety matters, acting for GlaxoSmithKline in the long-running Seroxat Litigation from the start of proceedings. Other notable matters include advising a defendant in the PIP Breast implants litigation and dealing with vaccine claims.
Mark has worked on six of The Lawyer's "top cases" of the year (2010 to 2019).
Mark is also known as an expert in the field of electronic disclosure and document review and the related practical and legal issues (including privilege, cross-border data protection rules, data subject access requests, and privacy regulations).
- Acting for GlaxoSmithKline in defence of a large product liability group action in relation its antidepressant, Seroxat
- Acting for Dixons Carphone plc in its dispute with McAfee which involved an interim injunction and a claim for damages in excess of $30 million.
- Acting for one of the largest property development companies in the Middle East and a Bahraini investment bank in a $1 billion High Court action involving allegations of conspiracy and breach of confidence
- Acting for Boris Berezovsky in:
- His claims against the estate and family of his former business partner, Badri Patarkatsishvili, the Russian oligarch Vasily Anisimov and a number of related parties and fiduciaries
- His multibillion-dollar claim against Roman Abramovich for breach of contract, breach of trust and intimidation arising out of the creation of the Russian oil company Sibneft and the Russian aluminium company RUSAL
- The successful discharge of a worldwide freezing injunction obtained by his former partner
- Obtaining freezing and search orders against a director of a leading hedge fund to recover the misappropriated proceeds of a private equity investment in Russia
- Acting for a FTSE 100 financial institution in relation to its response to an FCA regulatory investigation into allegations of mortgage mis-selling
- Acting for a leading Middle Eastern broadcaster in a complex fraud claim against the client’s former directors
- Obtaining summary judgment on a $10 million English Commercial Court claim for a global provider of telecoms infrastructure
- Law Society qualification date: September 2004
- The College of Law (now The University of Law), London – Legal Practice Course with commendation
- Exeter University – LLB (Hons)
Recommended in Legal 500 UK since 2016 for civil fraud, commercial litigation and product liability.
"Next Generation Partner"
Legal 500 UK (2019) – Product Liability: Defendant
"A lawyer's lawyer and great to work with"
Legal 500 UK (2018)
Legal 500 UK (2017) – Product Liability: Defendant
"seasoned fraud litigator"
Legal 500 UK (2017) – Fraud: Civil
"'Bright, hardworking and committed' Legal Director Mark Chesher is recommended"
Legal 500 UK (2016)