Marcus is a legal director in our Singapore office. Marcus is a dual qualified attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the United States, the Netherlands and for the past 25 years in South East Asia. Marcus has worked with magic circle and major US firms in Amsterdam, New York, Jakarta, Bangkok and Singapore.
Marcus is registered as a Dutch "advocaat" with the Bar Association of the District of Rotterdam and as an attorney with the New York Appellate Division, First Department.
Marcus is an emerging markets expert who advises clients on a variety of transactions in various sectors in countries in ASEAN. Marcus' skills include project finance, especially in relation to infrastructure and renewable energy projects, M&A, property and property finance and private equity and private clients.
- Thailand: advised downstream operators, including Bangkok Synthetics, Bangkok Polyethelene and HMC Polymers and lenders, including IFC, in relation to Thai Caprolactam's expansion, on various stages of development including debottlenecking and financing thereof
- Thailand: Advised a Singapore bank consortium in relation to the financing of a new factory of a manufacturer of high precisions metals in Thailand
- Myanmar: Acted for Thai Exim Bank on the financing of the construction of the Mandalay Airport
- Laos: acted for the Thai shareholders in relation to one of the largest Hydropower projects to date in Laos.
- Thailand/Indonesia: acted for the jv partner in a Swiss hotel jv on the sale of a stake in the jv
- Thailand: advised the owner of one of the earliest travel websites in Asia on the sale of the company to Wotif from Australia
- Indonesia: acted for a French technology company on the purchase of an Indonesian IT company
- Indonesia: acted for an Indian manufacturer of car batteries on the acquisition of an Indonesian manufacturer
- Indonesia: advised a Chinese SOE on the purchase of a nickel mining company
- Vietnam: acted for Water Fund Holland on the disposition of its share in a Vietnamese water company
- Vietnam/Indonesia: acted for a NZ PE on the acquisition of international schools in Vietnam and Indonesia.
- Thailand: acted for a large Dutch property fund on its investments in various properties including a serviced apartment and a department store and the establishment and transfer of the latter into one of the first Thai property funds
- Thailand: advised the major shareholders of a mixed use golf course and resort on the restructuring of the project including the buy-back of more than 60 leasehold villas
- Thailand: acted for the developer of the Baan Mandala Condominium, an award winning condominium project in Phuket
- Thailand: acted for Emerging Beachfront Land Investment Funds I and II on all legal aspects of many of the funds' investments in and dispositions of, beachfront properties over the past 10 years
- Thailand: advised Ping An Bank on its receivables financing of the Chao Phraya Estate project, a mixed-use Bangkok riverside project, featuring Four Seasons Private Residences, Four Seasons Hotel and Capella Hotel.
- Thailand: advised a Dutch manufacturer of cryogenic tanks on a manufacturing joint venture in Thailand
- Indonesia: advised a number of solar panel producers on the establishment of a business in Indonesia and investment in solar parks
- Indonesia: advised a French energy company on the restructuring of its Indonesian businesses
- Indonesia: advised a US listed company on the termination of a distribution agreement
- Cambodia: advised one of the largest animal nutrition companies in Europe on the establishment of a feedmill and chicken procession plant.
- Professional memberships
- Admitted, Rotterdam, the Netherlands (2018)
- Admitted to the First Judicial Department of the Supreme Court of the State of New York (1991)
- Admitted, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (1986)
- Cornell Law School, LL.M. (1983)
- Erasmus Universiteit, Rotterdam, the Netherlands, LL.B. (1982)
- Dutch - bi-lingual
- English - bi-lingual
- Thai - proficient
- German - conversational
- French - conversational