Saif is a partner, board member and highly regarded litigation expert in Sultanate of Oman.
He is a licensed advocate with the Ministry of Justice and legal Affairs and is the registered owner with Nasser Al Habsi of the civil partnership of Nasser Al Habsi & Saif Al Mamari Law Firm which operates in association with Addleshaw Goddard (Middle East) LLP in Oman. He has experience in public and private sectors of more than 26 years, including over 13 years as advocate before the Courts.
Saif also has extensive experience in Oman corporate law, establishing Omani corporate structures, convening and conducting meetings for listed companies in Oman, obtaining licenses and consents for project sponsors.
Saif has defended and represented clients in criminal, civil, commercial and labour cases before the Oman Courts. He also has experience in classified cases relating to violations of the Capital Market Law.
Saif has acted as legal advisor in many arbitrations cases side by side with international lawyers either in Oman or abroad. He assisted a British Barrister in arbitration case for one client in ICC Switzerland. He was also in experts short list to give a professional opinion to HH Frances Kirkham, CBE. He was being mentioned in the Legal 500 Private Practice Power list Arbitration in Middle East in 2023.
Saif has participated in a review of several laws and regulations such as:
- Commercial Companies Law for Oman Chamber for Commerce and Industry,
- Capital Market Regulations and the Regulation of Commercial Companies Law for Capital Market Authority,
- Oman Labour Law for the Shura Council,
- Some ministerial decisions for Oman Vision 2040,
- the Arbitration Rules for Oman Commercial Arbitration Centre, and
- Sports Regulations for Oman Football Association.
A snapshot of Saif's experience includes:
Arbitration and litigation
- Acting for clients in seeking the enforcement and recognition of international arbitral awards pursuant to the New York Convention 1958 and related Omani laws
- Acting for an Omani shipping and logistics entity in successfully defending a nullification application concerning an international arbitral award issued under the expedited procedure of the ICC Rules of Arbitration
- Acting for a Kuwait-Omani joint venture entity in the defence of an ad hoc arbitration seated in Oman concerning the construction of a retail development
- Acting as Omani counsel for an Austrian company in an ICC arbitration seated in Switzerland concerning a dispute under a share purchase agreement and instructing a UK based advocate
- Appearing as an advocate in dozens of commercial and debt recovery disputes for a range of commercial clients before the Primary and Appellate Courts of Oman
- Appointed as an Omani law expert or advisor for foreign law firms in a multitude of international arbitration matters either in Oman or abroad
Corporate and non-contentious
- Advising a Marubeni Corporation led syndicate on the US$ 73,000,000 secured solar power project financing for Oman's first solar power project and associated securities package and advising sponsors on Omani law issues
- Acting as the Omani counsel for the international lenders for the project financing of a Liquid Petroleum Gas extraction plant and related pipeline infrastructure, LPG storage and jetty facilities in the Salalah Free Zone, Oman. The ultimate sponsor for the transaction is the Government of Oman. The facility was US$ 640,000,000 and Saif's role included providing advice on regulatory compliance and other local law advice in relation to the project
- Conducting annual general meetings and executive general meetings for a range of financial institutions, including HSBC Bank Oman SAOG, Sohar International Bank SAOG, United Power Company SAOC and Saraya Bandar Jissah SAOC
- Reviewing and amending the articles of association of HSBC Bank Oman SAOG
- Reviewing and amending the articles of association of United Power Company SAOC
- Advising Sohar International Bank SAOG on its proposed merger with Bank Dhofar SAOG in Oman, which would have created a merged entity with a market capitalisation of approximately US$ 1.8 billion.
- Advising Alizz Islamic Bank SAOG on its proposed merger with Oman Arab Bank SAOC
- Advising HSBC Bank Oman SAOG on its proposed merger with Sohar International Bank SAOG
- Advising Bank Dhofar SAOG on its proposed merger with Ahli Bank SAOG
- Representing a Lebanese investment company in a prosecution concerning unfair competition in breach of the Commercial Companies Law
Corporate and regulatory offences
- Defending one of the most senior executives of a large state-owned oil and gas company before the Omani courts (criminal circuit) on charges of bribery and corruption
- Defending a senior manager of a public listed banking institution on charges of violations of the Capital Markets Law and breach of confidential information in relation to the purchase and sale of shares
- Successfully defending a manager at a senior level in a large construction company in proceedings filed by the Public Authority of Consumer Protection for violation of the Consumer Protection Law regarding alleged unfair competition allegations
- Representing a senior manager of a construction company at investigation meetings with authorities and the defence of changes brought before the Oman courts (criminal circuit)
- Successfully defending the former chief executive officer of a national airline before the public prosecutor and during the criminal trial in relation to neglect of duty offences under the Omani Penal Code
- Representing a foreign education provider's employee on criminal charges concerning fabricated evidence filed by an aggrieved candidate.
- Successfully defending a large bank in proceedings filed by the Public Prosecution and a private company for violation of Penal Code about alleged breach of trust.
- Professional Memberships
- Oman Lawyers Association
- Gulf Lawyers Union
- Omani & British Lawyers Association