AG is one of the top 15 UK legal firms. With significant presence across the entire UK including almost 150 fee earners in Scotland from a total fee earner population of almost 1,000, we are one of the very few firms who offer comprehensive legal advice across all commercial disciplines in Scotland, backed by the strength and resource of a major UK and wider international firm.
We have and continue to work with many external legal practices requiring support from a Scots law perspective on commercial matters from our offices in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. We provide our clients and other law firms with access to Scots law expertise in, amongst other disciplines, the following areas:
- banking, restructuring and projects
- real estate, both transactional and diligence
- corporate and commercial
- disputes and litigation
- employmentacross all sectors on commercial transactions which have a Scottish element, including oil and gas
Given our experience and expertise, we have and continue to work with Magic Circle, Silver Circle and U.S. legal practices instructed from their London and overseas offices to support them and their clients to the successful conclusion of their transactions.
Given the size of our team we can provide immediate response and input, around the clock; a clear differentiator in our local market. The frequency with which we undertake the Scots legal counsel role on major transactions ensures we have smooth and well proven practices in place for collaborating with other firms. This brings with it natural cost advantages, together with efficiencies to ensure that clients get the best possible experience for the best possible price.
AG has not only the strength in depth few others in the Scottish market can match, but has the network of contacts to ensure the smooth and successful conclusion for your transaction.
With a team of ‘unmatched experts’ that ‘consistently performs at the best possible level’
Examples of work include:
- Acted alongside a Magic Circle firm on behalf of a US Private Equity Fund in the refinance of a portfolio of 40 hotels across the UK, carrying out full title diligence and providing Certificates of Title to both senior and mezzanine funders, negotiating and putting in place property security in respect of the opco and propco structure to both sets of funders, providing property input into the senior (£80m) and mezzanine (£25m) facility agreements and intercreditor agreement.
- Acted alongside a Silver Circle law firm in completing the diligence aspect of a Non-Performing Loan Portfolio acquisition on behalf of a Private Equity Fund who acquired 100 distressed real estate loans from a High Street Lender and completing the transfer of the loans and corresponding security, which was acquired by a Loan Servicer due to the assignment provisions and held on trust for the Private Equity Fund.
- Acted alongside a US Firm for a US Private Equity Fund in the restructure, refinance and ultimate sale of ownership interests held by various corporate entities in a shopping centre in Edinburgh, including a limited partnership and offshore unit trust structure.
- Instructed alongside Sherman and Sterling as English and Scots counsel to the international oil and gas company, Topaz Energy & Marine Limited, in connection with Topaz’s offer to purchase its outstanding senior notes due 2018, and its offering of $375 million of new senior notes due 2022.
- Instructed via the London office of a Silver Circle law firm, acting for the bond trustee on all Scots law aspects of a Norwegian bond issue by an international vessel owning company.
- Instructed via the Abu Dhabi office of a Global international law firm, acting as local counsel on all Scots law aspects of restructuring an existing part Islamic and part conventional financing with a Middle Eastern Oil and Gas Service vessel owning and operating company.