Charles has a rich experience representing listed or non-listed multi-national corporations, state-owned enterprises and privately owned companies, in their inbound and outbound, private and public mergers and acquisitions, and incorporated, equity or contractual joint ventures, and advised on various diligence, structuring, tax, auction, transition, integration, financing, regulatory, compliance, incentive, management and operation issues in relation to such M&A transactions, in the form of share purchases, asset purchases or a combination of both and with consideration in cash, shares, debts or any combination thereof.
Charles has also represented reputable private equity funds adopting different strategies, ranging from leveraged buyout, venture capital, growth capital, mezzanine financing and distressed buyout, with their upstream fundraising (including both general partner side and limited partner side representation and related regulatory and compliance advice) and downstream investments and acquisitions using different instruments, such as equity, debt and hybrid securities. He is also familiar with different forms of fund vehicles, including separately managed accounts, funds of funds, co-investment, direct investment, and other bespoke and semi-bespoke vehicles, in the forms of both limited partnership and segregated portfolio company.
Over the years Charles has assisted clients across a variety of industries around the globe, spanning Greater China, Southeast Asia, South Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe and United States.
Charles' recent experience includes:
- China Resources Power, a Hong Kong listed company, on (i) its joint bidding with another Hong Kong listed company for a UK offshore wind power project, work including advice on financing arrangement and O&M agreement; and (ii) its joint venture in Hong Kong with Black Blade Capital.
- CAD Fund on its proposed joint acquisition with other financial/strategic investors from PRC of a mining and trading conglomerate in South Africa and U.A.E., work including advice on offtake arrangement.
- CMC on (i) its formation of an offshore holding company and an onshore fund to raise billions of USD from Tencent, Alibaba and others to invest in media and culture industries and advised CMC in establishing its onshore and offshore employee stock incentive schemes. (This was shortlisted as a finalist for ALB Hong Kong M&A Deal of the Year 2016); (ii) its acquisition of all of the shares of another media platform, from existing investors; and (iii) its joint venture in Hong Kong with a movie production company owned by a leading movie star.
- A Carlyle Portfolio on (i) its proposed investment into a health care group based in US and PRC; and (ii) its establishment of employee stock incentive scheme.
- Equistone Partners Europe Limited on its buyout of a global logistics company based in UK, Greater China and Australia.
- China Orient Asset Management, as the sponsor, together with a sovereign wealth fund of fund, to form a Cayman fund with a total commitment of hundreds of millions of USD, and represented such Cayman fund on its various equity and debt investments.
- China Everbright Bank International on its investment into a Cayman fund with a total commitment of hundreds of millions of USD and such Cayman fund's underlying transaction.
- Asset managers on matters related to formation of funds in the form of segregate portfolio companies in Cayman Islands.
- China Zhongrong International on matters related to their financing of private and public companies.
- Energy companies on matters related to their master or term LNG sale and purchase agreements.
- Chinese - native
- English - fluent
- French - good command
- Professional Memberships
- Hong Kong Law Society