Charles has rich experience representing listed or non-listed multi-national corporations, state-owned enterprises and privately owned companies, in their inbound and outbound investments, private and public mergers and acquisitions, and incorporated, equity or contractual joint ventures, and advised on various diligence, structuring, tax, auction, transition, integration, financing, regulatory, compliance, incentive, management and operation issues in relation to such transactions, in the form of share purchases, asset purchases or a combination of both and with consideration in cash, shares, debts or any combination thereof.
Charles has also represented reputable private equity funds adopting different strategies, ranging from leveraged buyout, venture capital, growth capital, mezzanine financing, and distressed buyout, with their upstream fundraising (including both general partner and limited partner side representation and related regulatory and compliance advice) and downstream investments and acquisitions using different instruments, such as equity, debt and hybrid securities. He is also familiar with different forms of fund vehicles in the forms of both limited partnership and segregated portfolio company.
Over the years Charles has assisted clients across a variety of industries, around the globe, spanning Greater China, Southeast Asia, South Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe and United States.
Charles' recent experience includes:
- China Resources Power, a Hong Kong listed company, on (i) its joint bidding with another Hong Kong listed company for a UK offshore wind power project, work including advice on financing arrangement and O&M agreement; (ii) its joint venture with a green energy sector focused fund house in Hong Kong; and (iii) its bidding for solar power assets in PRC from a global PE fund focusing on energy, utilities, telecom and transport sectors.
- CAD Fund on its proposed joint acquisition with other financial/strategic investors from PRC of a mining and trading conglomerate in South Africa and U.A.E., work including advice on offtake arrangement.
- Equistone Partners Europe Limited on its buyout of a global logistics company based in UK, Greater China and Australia.
- A Carlyle portfolio company on (i) its proposed investment into a health care group based in US and PRC; and (ii) its establishment of employee stock incentive scheme.
- Janchor Partners in its pre-IPO investment in a unicorn company in the Fintech sector headquartered in PRC, and a healthcare company based in PRC.
- China Everbright on its investment into a limited partnership fund in Cayman Islands with a total commitment of hundreds of millions of USD and such Cayman fund's underlying pre-IPO investment in Chinese retail sector.
- City Gas Companies on their master and term LNG sale and purchase agreements with major international oils.
- Chinese - native
- English - fluent
- French - good command
- Professional Memberships
- Hong Kong Law Society