Karen specialises in M&A, regulatory advice and project development in the energy sector, with particular expertise in low carbon technologies and energy transition issues. She has advised energy companies, developers, and infrastructure funds on transactions and developments in the UK and internationally. She also has experience on advising on energy transactions such as corporate power purchase agreements, and energy management services agreements. Her sector expertise includes energy networks, renewables, nuclear, carbon capture and storage, and oil & gas.
Having previously undertaken secondments to BP's and EDF's legal teams, Karen is familiar with the demands and pressures facing in-house teams. Karen previously spent six months on secondment to the Middle East offices of Herbert Smith Freehills during her time there.
- Transmission Capital Partners as preferred bidder for the Rampion, Beatrice East Anglia 1 and Moray East offshore transmission networks in the TR5, TR6 and TR7 Ofgem auction rounds
- National Grid on its acquisition of Western Power Distribution, the UK's largest electricity distribution business, from PPL Corporation for an equity value of £7.8 billion
- bp on its entry into a strategic partnership with Equinor for the development of offshore wind assets, including in respect of bp's purchase of a 50% interest in Equinor's US Empire Wind and Beacon Wind assets for US$1.1 billion
- advising a confidential developer of solar PV and battery developments on a grid optimisation project, including potential IDNO structures
- a confidential bidder on the proposed acquisition of 50% of Bute Energy, a multi gigawatt greenfield portfolio of onshore wind, solar and battery storage. Including the transaction structuring, due diligence and drafting / negotiation of transaction documents.