Seán maintains a broad practice involving diverse distressed and recovery situations in the restructuring and insolvency space, acting for IPs, funds, institutional lenders and clearing banks, and corporate boards and borrowers, at all stages of the cycle.
He is dual English and Irish qualified, with a wide range of sectoral experience in both jurisdictions, including financial services, retail, hospitality, real estate, energy, infrastructure, and offshore.
Seán has further successfully completed dedicated financial restructuring secondments to leading European and British investment banks in London.
Seán's experience includes:
- advising Teneo as the Administrators of Sungard Availability Services, the UK’s largest business continuity, IT, co-location and data centre providers in the context of its complex trading administration and the manner of the sale of its business and assets located across 13 UK sites, commonly representing infrastructure key to the operation of the City's financial markets.
- providing cross-border special situations advices to a leading Irish debt fund concerning its retail debt exposures in the UK
- advising one of the UK's oldest family owned businesses on the successful £150 + million corporate rationalisation, financial consolidation, and collateral restructuring of one its high street portfolio groups of companies, to include advice on the UK's pre-insolvency vulnerable transaction regime and the navigation of positions held by external funders to that portfolio group
- advising BDO LLP as Administrators of the guarantor lender Advancis LTD, trading as Buddy Loans, in the context of its financially regulated trading administration.
- leading on the provision of advice to a major clearing bank on the restructuring of CBIL (and other State backed lending scheme) debtor exposures.
Seán has published in peer reviewed journals on areas relating to the finance, restructuring and insolvency space:
- “Ransom payments and automatic break clauses in corporate insolvency: scope, limitations and reform”, with Fraser Ritson (Partner), Corporate Rescue and Insolvency, Vol 13.1, February 2020
- “Management Purchase of Assets out of Insolvency Processes: Directors Retain Duties to the Creditor Body to Act in their Best Interests”, with Fraser Ritson (Partner), Lexology, January 2020
- “The Mechanics of the Remedial Constructive Trust in Ireland”, Vol 39(1), Dublin University Law Journal, 2016
- “Illegality in Contract and Restitution: Developments in Ireland and Australia”, Ir. Jur 50, (2013), 199: Irish Jurist, Thomson Round Hall (Co-authored with Mr. Kevin Bell B.L.)
- “Observations on “Free Riding” Post L’Oreal v. Bellure”, Oxford Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2012) 7(10)
- “A Comparative Analysis of Conditional Payment Clauses and the Construction Contracts Bill 2010” (2011) CLP (11) 236 (Commercial Law Practitioner, Round Hall, November 2011) (“Part 2” of this Article may be found at: (2011) CLP (11) 262)
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Ireland
- London Irish Lawyers Association
- “Young Leader”, Ireland Funds, Great Britain
- Member, R3 - The Association of Business Recovery Professionals