Seán has a broad practice involving diverse distressed and recovery situations in the restructuring and insolvency space, acting for IPs, funds, institutional lenders and clearing banks, and corporate borrowers, at all stages of the cycle.
Seán is presently undertaking a dedicated financial restructuring secondment to a leading European investment bank in London.
Seán's recent experience includes:
- Advising the secured lender to the Jamie’s Italian group of companies over the course of six months in the context of the refinancing, restructuring, and ultimate insolvent administration of that group.
- Advising the Joint Administrators of Lehman Brothers Limited in the context of Lehman group subordinated lender and noteholder distribution disputes in the High Court.
- Assisting as part of the team advising on consent request processes and complex contingency planning (to include CVAs, schemes of arrangement, pre-arranged Chapter 11 cases, and other foreign jurisdictional work-arounds) in the context of the restructuring of one of the world’s largest offshore drilling contractors (USD 5.7 billion of debt). This included the use of a Bermuda scheme of arrangement and provisional liquidation mechanic as implementation tools.
- Advising one of the UK's oldest family owned businesses on the successful £150 + million corporate rationalisation, financial consolidation, and collateral restructuring of one its high street portfolio groups of companies, to include advice on the UK's pre-insolvency vulnerable transaction regime and the navigation of positions held by external funders to that portfolio group.
- Assisting as part of the team who, over the course of 8 months, successfully ring fenced a non-consolidated debtor subsidiary and JV group from the negative implications under USD 750m credit facility of an insolvency filing of a parent guarantor (offshore oil and gas drilling contractor). This culminated in a full refinancing, complex covenant amendment process, an amendment to economics and a maturity extension.
Seán has published in peer reviewed journals on areas relating to the finance, restructuring and insolvency space:
- “Ransom payments and automatic break clauses in corporate insolvency: scope, limitations and reform”, with Fraser Ritson (Partner), Corporate Rescue and Insolvency, Vol 13.1, February 2020
- “Management Purchase of Assets out of Insolvency Processes: Directors Retain Duties to the Creditor Body to Act in their Best Interests”, with Fraser Ritson (Partner), Lexology, January 2020
- “The Mechanics of the Remedial Constructive Trust in Ireland”, Vol 39(1), Dublin University Law Journal, 2016
- “Illegality in Contract and Restitution: Developments in Ireland and Australia”, Ir. Jur 50, (2013), 199: Irish Jurist, Thomson Round Hall (Co-authored with Mr. Kevin Bell B.L.)
- “Observations on “Free Riding” Post L’Oreal v. Bellure”, Oxford Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2012) 7(10)
- “A Comparative Analysis of Conditional Payment Clauses and the Construction Contracts Bill 2010” (2011) CLP (11) 236 (Commercial Law Practitioner, Round Hall, November 2011) (“Part 2” of this Article may be found at: (2011) CLP (11) 262)
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Ireland
- London Irish Lawyers Association
- “Young Leader”, Ireland Funds, Great Britain
- Member, R3 - The Association of Business Recovery Professionals