Seán advises a wide range of stakeholders on contentious and non-contentious restructuring and insolvency matters in diverse distressed and recovery situations across a variety of industries both in the UK and abroad.
Seán has a broad practice in the restructuring and insolvency space, acting for corporate borrowers, IPs, funds, and institutional lenders at all stages of the cycle. Seán has recently acted on a series of high profile, complex, international, cross border restructurings, involving the use of schemes of arrangement both in the UK and Bermuda.
Seán's recent experience includes:
- assisting as part of the team advising on consent request processes and complex contingency planning (to include CVAs, schemes of arrangement, pre-arranged Chapter 11 cases, and other foreign jurisdictional work-arounds) in the context of the restructuring one of the world’s largest offshore drilling contractors (USD 5.7 billion of debt). This included the use of a Bermuda scheme of arrangement and provisional liquidation mechanic as implementation tools.
- assisting as part of the team who, over the course of 8 months, successfully ring fenced a non-consolidated debtor subsidiary and JV group from the negative implications under USD 750m credit facility of an insolvency filing of a parent guarantor (offshore oil and gas drilling contractor). This culminated in a full refinancing, complex covenant amendment process, an amendment to economics and a maturity extension.
- assisting as part of the team advising on the implications of the recent contentious Lehman Brothers Waterfall Applications in the High Court, with a view to assisting certain distressed debt funds in determining the value of any current and future investments in group debt.
- assisting as part of the team advising on the change of governing law of two existing facility agreements (c. £800 million) of a Nordic product tanker and dry bulk company to ensure sufficient connection to England and Wales for the purposes of a scheme of arrangement.
- assisting as part of a team advising the directors of entities within a large international printing house in respect of the application of England's wrongful trading regime.
Seán has published in peer reviewed journals on areas relating to the finance, restructuring and insolvency space:
- “The Mechanics of the Remedial Constructive Trust in Ireland”, Vol 39(1), Dublin University Law Journal, 2016
- “Illegality in Contract and Restitution: Developments in Ireland and Australia”, Ir. Jur 50, (2013), 199: Irish Jurist, Thomson Round Hall (Co-authored with Mr. Kevin Bell B.L.)
- “Observations on “Free Riding” Post L’Oreal v. Bellure”, Oxford Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (2012) 7(10)
- “A Comparative Analysis of Conditional Payment Clauses and the Construction Contracts Bill 2010” (2011) CLP (11) 236 (Commercial Law Practitioner, Round Hall, November 2011) (“Part 2” of this Article may be found at: (2011) CLP (11) 262)
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Ireland
- London Irish Lawyers Association
- Year qualified
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales, 2015
- Admitted as a Solicitor in the Republic of Ireland, 2015
- Oriel College, University of Oxford - Bachelor of Civil Law, (Masters in Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring, and the Restitution of Unjust Enrichment)
- Trinity College, University of Dublin – LLB, Law (Hons.), First class