David has specialised in employment law since 2000. He is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in employment law and is also a solicitor advocate with extended rights of audience in the Court of Session and Supreme Court.
David practices in all areas of employment law, including conducting advocacy in the Employment Tribunal and EAT throughout the United Kingdom. David predominantly advises employers, dealing with the full range of employment law issues including unfair dismissal, discrimination, TUPE, senior executive exits and redundancy, and has many years’ experience advising on employment law issues in the oil and gas industry in particular. David works across our offices in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
David has a particular interest in workplace mediation and has undertaken mediation in commercial and employment law disputes and has also conducted judicial mediation in the Employment Tribunal.
Having a particular interest in training and development, David was senior tutor in employment law at Aberdeen University in the post graduate Diploma in legal practice from 2013 to 2017 and undertakes many training courses for clients on all aspects of employment law, HR practice and procedure, mediation skills and management skills.
- Advised a multinational client operating in the offshore oil and gas sector on a trade dispute with unions related to collective bargaining and concurrent changes to terms and conditions of employment.
- Advised an energy sector client on the redundancy process of over 35 senior personnel in different jurisdictions over a period of 3 months. The value of these settlements exceeded £2.5m in aggregate. These were unusually complex involving complex benefits packages including share and options deals and various ex-patriate benefits, and the possibility of claims in foreign jurisdictions.
- Advised a client that required to undertake a substantial restructuring of offshore assets affecting in excess of 2,000 employees. This matter involved:
- material changes to working patterns for offshore workers;
- several concurrent large scale TUPE transfers and;
- large scale redundancies all in a unionised environment.
- Acted for a public sector client in a lengthy employment tribunal claim for unfair dismissal, automatically unfair dismissal for making a protected disclosure, automatically unfair dismissal for health safety grounds and being subjected to detriment for making a protected disclosure.
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- Society of Solicitor Advocates
- Employment Law Group
- Employment Lawyers' Association
- Notary Public
- University of Aberdeen – LLB (hons), Law, Bachelor of Laws Honours Degree (1989)
- University of Strathclyde Diploma in Legal Practice (1990)
- Year qualified (1992)