David has specialised in employment law since 2000. He is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in employment law and is also a solicitor advocate with extended rights of audience in the Court of Session and Supreme Court.
David practices in all areas of employment law, including conducting advocacy in the Employment Tribunal and EAT throughout the United Kingdom. David predominantly advises employers, dealing with the full range of employment law issues including unfair dismissal, discrimination, TUPE, senior executive exits and redundancy, and has many years’ experience advising on employment law issues in the oil and gas industry in particular. David works across our offices in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
David has a particular interest in workplace mediation and has undertaken mediation in commercial and employment law disputes and has also conducted judicial mediation in the Employment Tribunal.
Having a particular interest in training and development, David was senior tutor in employment law at Aberdeen University in the post graduate Diploma in legal practice from 2013 to 2017 and undertakes many training courses for clients on all aspects of employment law, HR practice and procedure, mediation skills and management skills.
- Advised an international client on the TUPE and employment law aspects of a multi-billion pound public procurement exercise
- Advised an energy sector client on the furlough of 900 offshore workers and on a subsequent redundancy exercise affecting multiple offshore establishments
- Conducted an internal investigation and report for a public sector client in relation to allegations of senior executives acting ultra vires in decisions pertaining to pension fund benefits
- Advised a national retail sector client on industrial relations issues and collective variations to contracts of employment following a ballot decision to opt in to the application of the working time regulations
- Acted for a marine sector client in an international jurisdiction case in the London Central employment tribunal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal
- Retained by a major financial services client in multiple employment tribunal claims involving unfair dismissal, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation and maternity related discrimination and whistleblowing
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- Society of Solicitor Advocates
- Employment Law Group
- Employment Lawyers' Association
- Notary Public