Chris is a commercial projects lawyer who acts on all aspects of infrastructure transactions for public, private and third sector clients, both in the UK and internationally.
Chris has a particular specialism in healthcare projects and transactions (including mergers and acquisitions of statutory healthcare bodies, service transfers, commercial contracting in healthcare and disputes in the sector), as well as increasingly working in the local government, transport, regeneration and education spheres.
Chris also advises generally on public-private partnerships, joint ventures, outsourcings, insourcings and wider project finance and public law.
Recent highlights of Chris’ work include, in healthcare:
- working with a number of NHS Trusts and Foundation Trusts on a number of operational PFI issues, including market testing, benchmarking and settlements relating to defects and service failures at PFI hospitals;
- acting as lead associate for an NHS Foundation Trust on the development a critical and emergency care facility within the footprint of the Trust's operational estate, advising across the suite of commercial, construction and funding documents;
- advising an NHS Foundation Trust on the proposed spin out and sale of an embedded business unit, as lead associate;
- working with a number of NHS providers and private sector hospitals on complex managed service contracts, including pathology outsourcings;
- acting for a Combined Authority, supporting the delivery of a number of new and refurbished train stations, working across aspects including complex rail regulatory issues, construction elements of the projects, funding arrangements;
- supporting a Combined Authority on the transport elements of a transformational regeneration project, including the contract to govern the works at and adjoining the station to build the tram extension and new stop; and
- assisting with the disclosure process in a landmark rail procurement case as part of the team which successfully defended the Secretary of State for Transport;
- supporting a Local Authority on the funding aspects of a number of affordable housing developments including flow down of funding to developers and associated issues;
- acting for with a Combined Authority on the funding of a number of brownfield residential developments, being responsible for the rollout of funding documents across the portfolio of projects, being lead associate on a number of the schemes; and
in local government:
- supporting a local government body on the separation of its shared outsourced ICT services and the reprocurement of ICT services as a second generation outsourcing;
- advising a public sector procurement organisation in relation to the renegotiation of an agreement to acquire a competitor business in light of the COVID-19 pandemic; and
- acting for a local government body in relation to its investment in a challenger bank.
In education, Chris has recently advised a local authority on the variation of a Building Schools for the Future PFI contract to enable the construction of an annex providing school accommodation at an existing academy site and ongoing provision of services line with the existing framework of the PFI arrangements, as well as acting on academy conversions with complex contractual and construction issues.
In energy, Chris recently undertook a three-month secondment with the in-house legal team of a big six energy business, dealing with a broad spectrum of corporate and commercial matters.
Chris also has recent experience of advising on operational projects and project finance transactions, including complex and routine variations as well as project refinancings.
- German – conversational
- French – basic