Maria has been a partner since 2000 and is highly experienced in commercial litigation and international arbitration. She has particular expertise in commercial fraud, partnership, shareholder and joint venture disputes. Her practice covers a variety of sectors such as international trade, finance, energy, entertainment and telecommunications. She is also a CEDR accredited mediator and has acted as counsel to clients in numerous mediations.
Maria has handled cases in the English High Court and international arbitration disputes in various jurisdictions. She advises global businesses, large corporates and high net worth individuals.
Examples of Maria's work include:
- Acting for the respondent in a series of arbitrations, the headline claim being a significant arbitration for breaches of fiduciary duty, successfully defending a claim for £2 billion in damages.
- Defending a breach of duty and conspiracy claim including a novel claim for £15m in “Wrotham Park damages” in the Commercial Court with a result of £1 in nominal damages for the client.
- Commercial Court claim for US$500 million for commercial fraud and misrepresentation.
- Acting in various multi-jurisdictional arbitration and litigation proceedings involving a US$3 billion joint venture dispute between multi-national companies over control of a Polish mobile telecommunications company.
- Defending a highly contentious application under section 68 of the Arbitration Act 1996 to set aside an arbitration award obtained in ICC proceedings in Paris.
- Acting for a major energy company concerning a US$50 million dispute over a price review clause in a long-term gas supply contract.
- Advising telecommunication and entertainment companies on contractual disputes, and advising on film financing disputes.
- ‘Maria Frangeskides is excellent – she really thinks through problems, and develops creative solutions for the client.’ Legal 500 (2020) International Arbitration
- 'Maria Frangeskides is a top lawyer – brilliant at dealing with the most difficult clients.’ Legal 500 (2020) International Arbitration
- ‘Maria Frangeskides deserves her reputation as a wonderful lawyer and leader.' Legal 500 (2020) Commercial Litigation
- ‘Maria Frangeskides is a force to be reckoned with, and any client would be well advised to instruct her – not least to ensure she doesn’t appear on the other side. She’s tremendously bright, she’s always on top of the detail of the case but doesn’t allow this to distract her from the big-picture tactical considerations, she’s got a fantastic feel for how a court will perceive an argument, she’s a first-rate lawyer, and she’s wonderful to work with. Top quality.’ Legal 500 (2020) Commercial Litigation
- Professional Memberships
- ICC, LCIA, CEDR, Civil Mediation Council