James is a corporate lawyer with over 20 years of experience acting for a wide range of clients. He specialises in public and private M&A and joint ventures whilst also advising on a wide range of other transactions and governance issues. He has particular focus on clients in Financial Services, TMT/Digital and Energy.
James spent two years developing his technology expertise whilst working in a technology start-up before returning to Addleshaw Goddard in 2018.
A selection of transactions that James has advised on include:
- Sy4Security on its acquisition of BAe Systems' cyber security business;
- Moore Stephens on the sale of its Rulebook software business to Verisk Inc;
- The Royal Bank of Scotland on the sale of a debt and equity portfolio to Coller/Caird Capital;
- The Royal Bank of Scotland on the sale of its interest in Cairn Capital to Mediobanca;
- The acquisition of the Clermont Leisure (UK) by Mayfair Casinos;
- Alchemy on its acquisition of Hampshire Trust Bank;
- Heineken on its joint venture in Ivory Coast with CFAO;
- The Royal Bank of Scotland on the sale of its Global Treasury Funds business to Goldman Sachs;
- The Economist on the acquisition of TVC;
- Numerous acquisitions of downstream and midstream oil and gas businesses; and
- Tiscali on the sale of its UK business to TalkTalk.
- Joint author of Practical Company Law & Transactions (Sweet & Maxwell)