Christian is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial markets practice, with 20+ years of work experience and has worked in the KSA since 2009.
Christian specialises in corporate and commercial law, including core corporate, M&A, JVs, IPOs and commercial contracts. He has extensive experience advising a wide range of clients, including in the fields of general industrial, healthcare & pharma, transport & aviation, energy & utilities, and TMT, and has worked on more than 70 transactions in the Middle East.
He has also in-depth inhouse experience from his work in the HQ of chemical giant BASF (2004 until 2006) and his two secondments to the HQ of chemical giant SABIC (2009/2010 and 2020).
Christian previously worked in two Magic Circle firms as a Counsel (including in Munich, Dubai and Riyadh) until 2023.
- Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Ma’aden) on its joint venture with PIF in relation to investments into minority stakes in international mining and mineral assets, with funding commitments of approx. SAR 12bn
- Baosteel on its landmark joint venture with Aramco and PIF to build a steel production plant in the KSA.
- Baker Hughes on its partial sale of its oilfield chemicals business to and respective joint venture with Dussur.
- Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) on its purchase of a SAR 5.7bn (US$1.5bn) stake in publicly listed Kingdom Holding Company (KHC) in an off-market, private transaction.
- Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) on a SAR 2.83bn investment in Emaar, the Economic City through the conversion of debt-to-equity shares.
- Saudi Basic Industries (SABIC) on the acquisition of a 25% stake in Ar-Razi (Saudi Methanol Company) from the Japan Saudi Arabian Methanol Company (JSMC) and the extension of the JV with an overall deal value of SAR 5.6bn (US$ 1.5bn).
- Saudi Telecom Company (STC) on its tender together with Virgin Mobile for the newly established MVNO licenses in the KSA and on its subsequent JV in the MVNO market with Virgin Mobile and Sanabil.
- Danone on the acquisition of a KSA dairy farm (being one of largest dairy farms globally) and on the renegotiation and restructuring of its dairy JV with the Faisaliah Group (Al Safi Danone).
- Nahdi Medical Group (a leading pharmaceutical sales chain) on its preparation of its initial public listing on the Saudi Stock Exchange (Tadawul).
- Pfizer on the KSA antitrust filing of the carve out and merger of its Upjohn business with Mylan.
- Continental on the incorporation of its distribution JV in the KSA and the acquisition of certain assets from its previous distributor.
- Rentokil on its acquisition of a third-party business in the KSA and the buy-out of its Saudi JV partner.
- English (fluent)
- German (fluent)
- French (solid knowledge)
University of Heidelberg, Germany
Lawyer's Staatsexamen Corporate Law, Civil Law, Criminal Law, Administrative Law, International Law
University of Lausanne, Switzerland
International Law and Legal Studies, International Economics
University of Tuebingen, Germany
Civil Law, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law
'As a senior in-house lawyer of a Saudi listed company, I engaged Christian over the years on several occasions in complex transactional matters, and was impressed by his attention to detail, broad legal and commercial knowledge and experience in the Saudi market'