Nick acts on complex and high value commercial disputes for a variety of clients. As well as acting for clients in the English High Court, Nick has acted on a significant number of major international arbitrations (including ICC, LCIA and AAA rules). He also often co-counsels with local counsel in other common law jurisdictions.
Nick is a market leading adviser on business protection litigation. He is highly experienced in advising on taking action (ranging from securing undertakings, obtaining urgent injunctive relief including search and seizure orders, to pursuing claims for damages/loss of profits) to enforce the employer's rights and protect confidential information.
Nick has a particular focus on the industrial sector and disputes in Sub-Saharan Africa (Nick is a key member of our Africa Business Group and member of the Africa Advisory Board of Save the Children). He also regularly acts for clients looking for dispute funding.
"acts on commercial disputes for clients in the transport, energy and hospitality sectors, with particular experience in international arbitration. Sources say he is 'extremely bright and has excellent communication skills,' adding: 'He always strives for the best commercial result for his client.'" Chambers and Partners (2019)
"praised as a 'very good, solid, thoughtful and hard-working' lawyer by sources. He regularly acts on contractual, fraud and warranty disputes, especially for energy and industrial clients."
Chambers and Partners (2018)
- Recent experience
Nick's recent experience includes:
- acting for Xrail Group Limited in successfully defending a complex conspiracy claim ( EWHC 73(QB))
- acting for a manufacturing client in ongoing proceedings against senior leavers and their new employer for theft of confidential information, conspiracy and breach of contract, including obtaining interim injunctive relief for the return of confidential information and pursuing a multimillion pound damages claim
- acting for an insourcing business bringing proceedings against former managers and a new employer, including successfully obtaining a without notice delivery up order enforced on service by a supervising solicitor and IT expert
- acting for a Sub-Saharan client in a multi-million dollar international arbitration (LCIA-DIFC Rules)
- acting in an international arbitration concerning a multi-billion pound offshore windfarm (LCIA Rules, London Seat)
- acting for a cosmetics distributer in an international arbitration concerning
- distribution rights in the UK (AAA Rules, Los Angeles Seat)
- acting for a UK FTSE 100 corporation on a series of high value arbitrations in Kenya and Tanzania concerning joint ventures in both countries (ICC Rules, London Seat)
- acting for an international food, ingredients and retail group in an arbitration arising out of a licence agreement (LICA Rules, London Seat)
Commercial Disputes and Fraud:
- acting for the seller of a composting facility in a c£11 million claim for breach of warranty and fraudulent misrepresentation
- advising a supplier to the automotive industry on potential claims arising from a faulty component
- acting for Volkswagen and Thales in successfully obtaining an injunction to prevent the publication of a paper produced by academics at the University of Birmingham and Stichting Katholieke Universiteit in the Netherlands ( EWHC 1832 (Ch))
- acting for AAH Pharmaceuticals Limited in obtaining an interim mandatory injunction against Mercury Pharmaceuticals Limited and Amdipharm UK Limited ( EWHC 541 (Comm))
- acting for an international electronic component manufacturer defending a breach of warranty claim
- acting for a pharmaceutical company in two complex multi-million pound fraud claims against various parties including a former employee of the client company and companies registered in Panama  EWHC 1625 (QB)