Alex is a Managing Associate in the finance disputes team. He has particular experience of big-ticket, heavyweight banking litigation, as well as contentious regulatory work. Alex acts for a range of financial institutions on complex and high value cases, with a particular emphasis on claims involving structured derivative products, restructuring, financial crime and payments. Alex has completed secondments at three international banks. His experience includes:
- Acting for the municipal water authority of Leipzig in its successful defence of a multi-party, cross-jurisdictional series of claims worth over £500m relating to the sale of complex credit derivatives by UBS. The case involved allegations of bribery, dishonest assistance, breach of fiduciary duty and negligent portfolio management.
- Acting for RBS in its defence of a £100m claim from a high-net-worth property investor covering allegations of economic duress, intimidation and breach of contract, as well as the role of the Asset Protection Agency at the height of the financial crisis.
- Acting for a major UK bank in £500m Commercial Court proceedings concerning a series of Italian structured tax derivatives trades.
- Advising a major UK bank in relation to an alleged breach of mandate and breach of the Quincecare duty.
- Acting for and advising various banks in relation to unauthorised transactions, authorised push payments, customer and third party fraud, money laundering and customer exits.
- Qualified – September 2013
- LPC, BBP Holborn
- GDL, College of Law Moorgate
- University of Birmingham, BA (Hons) History