Alex is a Managing Associate in the Finance Disputes team.
He has particular experience of big-ticket, heavyweight banking litigation, as well as contentious regulatory work. Alex acts for a range of financial institutions on complex and high value cases, with a particular emphasis on claims involving structured derivative products, restructuring, financial crime and payments.
Alex has completed secondments at three high street banks.
- Acting for the municipal water authority of Leipzig in its successful defence of a multi-party, cross-jurisdictional series of claims worth over £500m relating to the sale of complex credit derivatives by UBS. The case involved allegations of bribery, dishonest assistance, breach of fiduciary duty and negligent portfolio management, as well as issues regarding rogue directors and intermediaries.
- Acting for a major high street bank in its defence of a £100m claim from a high-net-worth property investor covering allegations of economic duress, intimidation and breach of contract, as well as the role of the Asset Protection Agency at the height of the financial crisis.
- Acting for a major UK bank in £500m Commercial Court proceedings concerning a series of Italian structured tax derivative trades.
- Acting for and advising various banks in relation to unauthorised transactions, authorised push payments, customer and third party fraud, money laundering and customer exits.
- Advising a major UK bank in relation to an alleged breach of mandate and breach of the Quincecare duty.
- Advising several UK lenders in relation to risks arising from the establishment and implementation of the various Covid-19 Government lending schemes.