Rob is a Legal Director in our Infrastructure, Projects and Energy (IPE) Group team with over 15 years’ experience of advising on energy, waste, infrastructure, transport and regeneration projects.
He has a reputation as a go-to lawyer for novel and complex matters, with experience of public procurements, construction contracts and a wide range of services and outsourcing contracts including PPPs. For example, since 2011, Rob has led our day-to-day advice to a Danish Government entity (Femern A/S) on its procurement of a €6 billion road and rail tunnel between Denmark and Germany.
Rob is currently the North West CBI's representative on the Manchester Airport Consultative Committee.
Energy and utilities
- National Grid on a number of key procurements including in relation to compressor maintenance and related contracts in relation to the gas transmission network, and other procurements/contracts including in relation to supply of valves and actuators, heat exchangers, earth switches and cathodic protection;
- SSE on a number of transactions across the business, including in relation to street lighting, IT and outsourcing, and the £1 billion Peterhead Carbon Capture and Storage project
- Cheshire East Council on its innovative partnership with OVO Energy in relation to energy supply to domestic and business customers under the Fairer Power brand
- Hitachi Zosen on energy from waste projects (construction and O&M contracts, and joint venture and structuring advice) in Perth, Western Australia and Hong Kong.
- A club of banks funding Shanks/SSE in relation to the Barnsley Doncaster Rotherham Waste Partnership project – Rob led the AG team on this complex project which will involve supply of fuel to the new £300 million Ferrybridge Multifuel power plant
- United Utilities and JV partners (including Laing, Interserve, Shanks and Galliford Try) on bids for the Derby and Derbyshire, Cheshire, South Tyneside, Merseyside and Leeds waste PPP/PFI projects
- Cheshire West and Chester Council in relation to its eight-year procurement of a residual waste treatment contract, and operational issues on its HWRC and waste collection contracts
- London Waste and Recycling Board on various matters relating to waste infrastructure across London
- Somerset County Council concerning its procurement of a long-term transfer station and residual waste treatment contract
- Manchester City Council and Trafford Borough Council in relation to procurement of ten-year waste collection contracts
Local authorities and Regeneration
- Trafford Borough Council on a pathfinder £235 million outsourcing of services, including taking the lead on the full suite of procurement and contract documents, and leading the legal negotiations with bidders
- Manchester City Council and Wakefield City Council on variations to their street lighting PFI project to retrofit its street lights with energy efficient LEDs
- Beijing Construction & Engineering Group on its JV with Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville and Rowsley Ltd on the £150 million Jacksons Row development scheme
- Greater Manchester Combined Authority on the establishment of the Evergreen 2 Regeneration Fund for the North West of England
- Surrey Heath Borough Council on procuring a development partner for the regeneration of Camberley Town Centre
- Department for Transport on the franchise competition for the West Coast Main Line
- Transport for Greater Manchester on a highways shared services initiative
PPP and PFI
- Bouygues on the Waltham Forest Building Schools for the Future (BSF) and Westminster BSF projects
- Skanska and John Laing JV on the Croydon & Lewisham street lighting PPP project
- 4Ps on drafting the standard form highways PPP contract
- Various parties on secondary market transactions (including Equitix, Infrared and Semperian)