Tom is a partner in the finance and projects division and heads the firm's Social Care team.
Tom is regarded as a market leader in financing businesses which provide frontline and associated healthcare support services. His work in the sector includes working with a range of debt providers, as well as many operators, and equity providers in the provision of a variety of facilities including acquisition, corporate and development. Notable deals are:
- Allied Irish Bank plc and AIB Group UK in its provision of acquisition finance to Integrum Care group for the acquisition of Hythe Care Group
- Barclays Bank in the provision of funding to The Somerset Care Group
- AIB Group UK in the provision of acquisition finance to Hamberley Care Homes for the acquisition of Waypoints
Tom has significant expertise in the social housing sector advising on the banking elements of stock transfers, development, refinance and bond finance transactions for many of our lender and RSL clients. Notable deals are:
- Nationwide Building Society in the provision of funding to Hanover (Scotland) Housing Association Limited as part of the transfer of undertaking by Arklet Housing Association
- Scottish Widows in the provision of £40m of debt to Port of Letih Housing Association
"Leader in his field."
Chambers UK (2017)
"Both clients and peers highlight Tom Speirs' pragmatism and super communication skills. One client explains that Tom is a pleasure to work with because 'he is open to discussion. Because of the relationship we have, I can have difficult conversations with him that need to be had. He's professional, approachable and a very good lawyer."
Chambers UK (2015)