Tom is a partner in the Scottish banking team. He acts for all the major banks in the UK on transactional and advisory work. Tom has worked on a large number of corporate and banking projects with a broad range of capital values. He has been instrumental in ensuring the firm remains on the panels of most UK banks as well as a number of European and other overseas banks.
Healthcare - Tom is regarded as a market leader in financing businesses which provide frontline and associated healthcare support services. His work in the sector includes acquisition finance for operators (including senior, mezzanine, mini bond and equity) and re-financings as well as acquisition and development finance deals.
RSL - Tom has significant expertise in the social housing sector advising on the banking elements of stock transfers, development, refinance and bond finance transactions for many of our RSL clients.
- Advised HSBC/HSBCIF in relation to the £37m refinance and acquisition finance of HLC (Wood Products) Ltd
- Advised Santander in relation to acquisition and development finance provided to Crieff Hydro
- Advising a major UK bank on the £34m refinancing of a healthcare group of companies based in Scotland and the Isle of Man
- Tom has worked in collaboration with the US legal firms on a number of separate projects providing Scots Legal Opinions in relation to the financing aspects and Scottish aspects of acquisition of loan portfolios. This includes acting as Scots Counsel to Virgin Media and Liberty Global in relation to the Scots company aspects of the $24bn issue of secured and unsecured notes to a syndicate of banks; and working with Vinson & Elkins on a number of separate projects advising on the acquisition of loan portfolios
- Advising Paragon Housing Association on its £20m bond and debt refinance with GB Social Housing and the Royal Bank of Scotland
"Leader in his field."
Chambers UK (2017)
"Both clients and peers highlight Tom Speirs' pragmatism and super communication skills. One client explains that Tom is a pleasure to work with because 'he is open to discussion. Because of the relationship we have, I can have difficult conversations with him that need to be had. He's professional, approachable and a very good lawyer."
Chambers UK (2015)
- Dundee University:
- LLB (Dip)
- Admitted to the Law Society of Scotland on the 7th October 1997
- Dundee University: