Andrew joined the pensions department in September 2013, having completed his training contract at a leading international firm.
During his training contract and since qualification, Andrew has gained a diverse experience of both corporate, trustee and SIPP/SSAS work. Andrew has assisted a number of leading UK Plc clients on matters ranging from scheme mergers to defined benefit arrangements, and has provided a broad range of advice to trustee clients.
- advising on the buy-in and subsequent buy-out of a DB pension scheme, including assisting with the overall project management, on behalf of a leading multi-national
- advising on the apportionment of section 75 debt liabilities and a drafting flexible apportionment arrangement [on behalf of a large UK building and construction company]
- drafting a life assurance scheme, advising on scheme governance and drafting terms of reference for a life assurance governance committee [on behalf of a FTSE 100 client]
- advising on a DB scheme merger and issues surrounding debt reallocation, covenant impact and section 75 debt liabilities in relation to a friendly society merger
- negotiating with trustees [on behalf of a large client in the leisure industry] regarding the termination of pensionable service under a DB Scheme’s trust deed and rules and the need to maintain a final salary link
- drafting a letter of appointment of an independent trustee on behalf of C-operative Group Limited and providing advice regarding the same.
- preparing detailed advice on the equalisation of GMPs for scheme members
- undertaking various independent trustee work relating to the investment and disinvestment of funds
- providing advice to Redcats' trustees regarding the identification of their scheme's statutory employer
- providing advice to the trustees of Tyco in order to tackle funding, security and equalisation issues.
- updating SSAS scheme documentation in light of changes contained in the Finance Act 2011 and advising on amendments to SSAS documentation to reflect the requirements of various SSAS providers
- undertaking a comprehensive update to a SSAS trust deed and rules on behalf of a leading SSAS provider. Drafting a member announcement in light of these changes
- drafting a precedent SSAS trust deed and rules for Rowanmoor to allow for the standardisation of existing SSAS documentation
- drafting a deed of amendment for Rathbones’ SIPP schemes to ensure the balance of powers between trustee and scheme administrator complies with PERG Guidance.
- Geography BSc, Durham University
- Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, Leeds
- Professional memberships
- Member of the Association of Pensions Lawyers